1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dorsal Incision vs Ventral Incision

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mulieslayer52, Feb 28, 2013.

1. mulieslayer52

mulieslayer52 New Member

The next project for me is a Canada Goose (pretty big one). I want to mount it hanging from the ceiling. I was wondering if its just as hard to do a dorsal incision to skin it versus a ventral. I would be hoping to not have some ruffed up feathers visible from a ventral incision

Thanks,
    Keenan

2. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    I have only ever done ventral incisions, if you degrease the bird properly, and dry the down and feathers completely its covers up your incision extremely well. Good luck

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wet the feathers down the breast, part them with whatever is handy, make incission skin as usual. When sewing keep feathers out of stitches.

4. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

have never done a dorsal incision, x2 on everything stated.

5. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

I have skinned several birds down the back. The back skin seems to be tougher and less likely to tear. Haven't mounted either bird. Both are mallards to be done belly out.

6. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

I skin 99% of all birds between the shoulder blades. Once you get use to it there is no better way, they practically mount themselves.

7. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Ok, I am curious, where between the shoulder blades do you cut. From shoulder to shoulder, straight down the back through the feather tract or some other way? I would really like to try this method once just to see how it goes.
    Thank you, Jim

8. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Here is a picture I took for a tutorial a while ago.

[​IMG]

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wolfgang, Is the tutorial posted up in that section?

10. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

No, Sorry it was one I did for a couple of other members that had asked.
    If I can find all the pictures I will post up the entire process, mounting included.

11. I just mounted my first goose and did the "armpit skinning" Wingman had the tutorial on. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,254631.0.html
    Very easy and loved the final results. I'm intrigued by Wolfgang's method as I wondered about doing it that way when I was in the middle of wiring the goose. Just wasn't sure how well that back skin would hold/hide stitches. May be trying it now...
    Here's the goose, did it just like Wingman's tutorial.
    [​IMG]

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I for one would appreciate it wolfgang. I have thought about it but have never wanted to try it on a customer mount. I never seem to get time to work on my own. Also every bird I have is already skinned ventraly.

13. CR

CR New Member

me to wolfgang!!!! Now this is just plain fun!!!!!!!!!!!11

14. Ranger8292

Ranger8292 New Member

I woud Deffinatley Be Interested in seeing the rest of tat tutorial

15. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    X2

16. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

I have done a ventral incision for the last fifteen years, but ive just started to do a dorsal on all my wildfowl and find it far better!

17. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

I love to try new ways of skinning. Thanks to this forum, I've tried the armpit method, and the leg to leg method. I did try a dorsal incision on a goose years ago, but I didn't like it. However, it might be time to try again, maybe on a duck this time. Thanks for the pictures!