1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do you split lips on Otters and Nutria?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RandyB423, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Brand new and still skinning stuff hoping to eventually have enough specimens in the freezer to mount up this summer once it is 100 degrees. From Louisiana and am getting several Otter and Nutria for practice. After skinning a few, I've noticed they don't really have lips... not like a deer or raccoon anyway. But what is there is really thick. So do I split or is this a case of just thinning then building up with clay and gluing?

I do pickle and tan all my own. McKenzie Tan.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Like any thing else, the thick areas will shrink. I would split and thin.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

If the critter has lips then split them.

4. Thanks. I saw a pic this morning of a tanned otter here and it looked like there was a split going on around the lip area. Just looking at the skin, .the lips are definately not like a deer or raccoon. I will pull it out of the pickle and split. Thanks.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

X2...anything from chipmunks to elephants!

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

They are alittle different than say turning the lips/nose on a wt, but studying how their mouth works and looking at it closely before skinning will help you in the long run. And yes, they get turned like everything else.