1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

After denatured alcohol treatment question.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by phoenix-cry, Mar 1, 2013.

1. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

So I have a wet tanned Sampson grey fox that started to slip to hell. I managed to very carefully get it on the form and from there I treated it with denatured alcohol to try and reduce slip. I'm letting the alcohol dry (along with the rest of it). My question is, will it be a alcohol reeking fire hazard for the rest of eternity or will the alcohol evaporate away completely? Secondary and more important question is how will I be able to groom it once it is dry? I assume that the traditional shampoo and blow dry is right out of the question! Luckily the face and ears didn't slip, mostly the shoulder.

This fox has no guard hairs so I want to get it as soft and fluffy as I can.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

"Alcohol" is the key word here. Alcohol evaporates. Being denatured can sometimes slow the process but the end result is inevitable. It will evaporate and the smell will be gone with it.

The second question is trickier. The short answer is "maybe". If you attempt to groom it while the hide is wet, any portions susceptible to slip may simply slough off. Conversely, those that aren't should groom well. I tell people that in situations like yours, you should taxi the hide with a pin so that hair patterns align. If you MUST "groom" them, hold a tissue between your hands and lightly drag the tissue over the hair to align it. Then LEAVE IT ALONE until it's dried completely.

3. linder

linder New Member

This may be a crazy quition but everytime I get near denatured alcohol I can not stand it ,the smell is so strong almost makes me sick. I read and hear guys talking about how good it works and would like to use it but it gives me an instant headace, was just wondering if it does anyone else like this.

4. George

Linder that's what happens to EVERYONE who uses it in poorly ventilated areas. DO NOT LET IT CONTACT YOUR HANDS. It alcohol and poison. It is absorbed through the skin. Wear rubber gloves and a respirator if you use it indoors. Work smart.

5. linder

linder New Member

Your right ,I won't use it again unless I'm out- out doors there use to be a spray on tan by Kings Tax.supply. and it did the same but that was in someone else shop that I used to go by I just thought it was me .

6. George

http://www.hvchemical.com/msds/deal.htm

7. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

it is stinky for sure. Exaust fan comes in handy on one end of my shop while I crack a window on the other end. Same goes for laquer paints.

8. linder

linder New Member

Scary stuff thank you George ,Do any of you submerge a bad cape or anything else in this to stop slipedge ?

9. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

I thought I had set to 'notify' but I guess not! Sorry. thanks for the responses. I used outside so the smell wouldn't over take me, and yup, used gloves, always with the gloves. I've been letting it dry, it still has a bit of alcohol smell, but I'm hoping that a few more days will make that go away.

Thanks again!

I did no grooming while wet, the fur was just too delicate for me to dare. I haven't tried it yet. I'll give it a few more days.