1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

European Mounts .

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by linder, Mar 1, 2013.

1. linder

linder New Member

A quick quition had a customer call and he has some old European whitetail skulls that have turned dark with age ,he asked if I could redo them. So I was wondering would you bleach them or paint them ? They have already been boiled and cleaned from what he told me ,thought about the hair bleach from sallies .I would appreciate any and all thoughts on this .

2. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

It might depend on the amount of coloring taking place & the cause.
    You should move this question to the skulls forum, you'll get a better response there.

3. If you paint them then he will never have to re-do them again. I do about 30 euro's a year and most get either painted or dipped.

4. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

First all you should address the cause of the darkening. You said that they were boiled so I would guess its from grease deposits & or some tissue that wasn't fully removed. First thing I would do is soak them in hot water & degreaser for a week or more until I felt as though I had completely degreasers them. You would need to keep the water hot through out this process. This will also help to address the issue of whatever type tissues were not removed. After soaking in the water/degreaser get you enough peroxide ( the kind you get at the dollar store) to cover the skull without getting on any portion of there antlers( it will discolor them). If there are portions of the skull not covered use strips of paper towels to wick the peroxide onto these areas. Soak in the peroxide for 1-5 days. This should take care of the rest of the tissue issues while bleaching the bones thoroughly . Rinse with cool water & place in the sun for 12hrs. Should be white as snow. Hope this helps.

5. linder

linder New Member

Thank you all for the suggestions ,they will make this job a lot easier I am sure .