1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sampson Grey Fox (pic update page 2)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by phoenix-cry, Mar 1, 2013.

1. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

So here is a rarity, a Sampson Grey Fox. A Sampson fox is a recessive genetic mutation that is lacking guard hair. It is an unstable gene meaning that the sampson can molt into a normal fox and back into a sampson or half way in between. Which can give them the appearance of being a fox with a bad case of mange. This is only the second grey fox that I've seen with the mutation.

Sadly the pelt started to slip while I was working with it (you can see some bare spots in the shoulder). I hope to cover the bare areas with some habitat, but it made working with this one really delicate work. I'm going to let it dry a little before doing any face/ear detail work to prevent further fur loss. I sprayed it with denatured alcohol, but I don't know if that trick works once it's already tanned.

Not the most beautiful coat in the world, but I love oddities!!

[​IMG]

2. Re: Sampson Grey Fox

Looking great! Samson foxes are so interesting- especially gray ones. c: I've never felt one before!
    That sucks that it started to slip though :C

3. phoenix-cry

Re: Sampson Grey Fox

Thanks!

It does suck that it started to slip, I wonder if that undercoat isn't as strong as the guard hairs to begin with. But at least the face didn't slip and I think I can hide the shoulder slip.

I've only ever heard of one other grey sampson.

4. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Very neat fox!!!

5. phoenix-cry

Thanks!

6. yort

yort New Member

Looks Amazing!!! Gotta love the Odd Balls!!

7. phoenix-cry

Odd balls rock! Soon he will have habitat and detail work!

8. Re: Sampson Grey Fox

like it

9. Re: Sampson Grey Fox

That's awesome! The fur looks really soft and the expression is great.

10. phoenix-cry

Thank you. The fur is super soft!!

11. phoenix-cry

Here's an update. The eyes widened in expression, I tried to baby it but on the last day I was really busy. I'll have to wet it down and try again. I think I like the original expression better. Base has lots more work to be done. You can see the slip spots in the shoulder, I'll be covering that with tall 'grass'.

[​IMG]

12. phoenix-cry

Oh and how should I deal with the inside of the ears? There is *no* fur in there. Will paint look strange? Leave as is?

13. phoenix-cry

Here's another update. Here's the question of the day. Do I wet down the eye on the right (the animal's left) to correct the shape, or leave as is since this was a delicate pelt with slip issues? The shape difference is driving me nuts! The face didn't have any slip issues so I want to think that it's safe to wet just the top lid and gently move it down. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

14. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

I'd say go ahead and wet the one eyelid and reshape it. I wet up a bounty paper towel peice and place right over the area needed, then cover just that area with plastic. You can always add a teensy bit of bacteriacide to the water if worried.

Were the ears slipped or was it lacking the long inner hairs since they are guard hairs?

I have some sampson type red foxes. They still have some guard hair, but it's sparce. 1 of them is a big male but his ears slipped some during tanning, so I soft tanned him, though he is still mountable. Another is a female, she tanned up fine. Her tail seems to have no guard hairs but is full looking, the rest is the mix look.

15. phoenix-cry

Yeah, I think if I don't reshape the eye it is going to drive me insane forever.

Oddly enough although the fur slipped on the shoulders the face and ears did not slip. There simply never was any fur inside the ears.

I'd love to see a pic of your red sampson's. Where did you get them?

16. trappersteph

Here are pics of the one with the sampson tail and mixed body. This one I trapped myself. The others were shot by some local hunters I know- so they all came from the same general area but not in the same seasons- different years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. trappersteph

Here's one that seems to have the genetics ( semi sampson), the lower fox.

[​IMG]

And these are the one that had some ear slips, comparing with a regular normal coated fox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both legs are the sampson in this pic- soft puppy like fur

[​IMG]

18. phoenix-cry

Very cool! As an unstable gene they can shed their fur back and forth looks like that one you caught during a time when they were 'between' sampson and regular. Shame the ears slipped on that one, that's a great example of a sampson. Are you going to mount it anyway? Plenty of ways to fix slipped ears.

19. trappersteph

Yes I would like to mount it. I can take spare ears and repair with them. I was also thinking of hand plucking more of the sparce guard hairs out LOL.

The one fox I have that has a bigger issue with slippage is an albino I aquired off ebay years ago. Some on the ears, some on the foot where the trap held it. The taxidermist who sold it had fully prepped everything, salted it- then froze it! Much easier to hang it up, let it drain, then let it hang in a nice dry room for a week, than ship it raw green salted/frozen!

I have a bunch of oddball animals btw- piebald mostly white otter, coal black beaver, black phase muskrats, black phase possum, huge badger, a 5 pound muskrat, nearly 5 pound mink, a very heavily spotted thick bodied TX tom bobcat, a big male lynx with some white toe tips, blond coon, black coon, a red fox with 2 white back legs ( heel and to the toes). Already mounted black and red coyotes, and a mink with white guard hairs all over the place like salt and pepper.

20. phoenix-cry

You like oddballs just like I do! Giggle. If you look at a thread on here "Sketch for piebald/normal otter mount' you can see my pied otter. I'm almost done with the mount.

Note me when you mount the sampson red, I'd love to see it! Shame about the albino!