1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bubbles in sealer

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Beltonbanger, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Just don't understand why I don't have any problems at all and then one day 2 mounts in one day bubble up iin spots. To make it worse, I sanded them down in the couple spots.......................AND THEY BUBBLED UP AGAIN!!! I have been using Rustoleum clear for everything!
    Grrrrrrr!!!!! I also used a hair drier to warm my fish first!!! Life goes on!!!! :(

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Could be several things. First off, I know Triple Thick will have a tendency to bubble from heat. The only time I've had it bubble is when I've sprayed outside in hotter weather. Did you happen to add the heating part to the mix this time? Second guess would be you got the sealer on too thick. Another possibility is an incompatibility issue. Or a combination of all of the above. Try to figure out what you did differently this time vs. what you've done successfully in the past. Bubbling almost TELLS me that you got it on too thick. A sealer coat really only needs to be a thin coat. And the only reason I even use a sealer coat on my skin mounts is so that I can kind've see if I missed anything. Otherwise, I'm not so sure a sealer coat even serves a purpose. FYI, I never seal my replicas... Just some ideas, might be something else....

3. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I got the "tiny bubbles" once, using R. Painters Touch 2x. I have to admit, it was extremely high humidity and I sprayed outside, and I may have layed it on a bit thick 2. I do like seal coats, however, because I tend to have issues the closer I get my fish looking how I want. Sealer keeps me from having to start over, because I can wipe my WB paint off with isypropol alcohol and not damage what's under the sealer. It's like insurance.....plus, it separates the paint layers, which gives depth to the paintwork. And you kind of need it for powders.
    Best, Scott
    Oh, a note on 2x....it stays soft for a long time. Frankly, I don't prefer it.

4. FishArt

Good point Scott. I forgot about being able to fix mistakes easier AND steel wooling. I use steel wool a fair amount to take off paint here and there...

5. Dave@

Dave@ Active Member

I also have had that problem, but its because of using the hair dryer and getting the fish to hot before applying the gloss, (2x).
    When I dont use the hair dryer, it doesnt bubble up. It only does it when I use the hair dryer after I gloss it.

6. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The 2x sux, I will not use it. The regular RPT is all I use, never an issue.

7. FishArt

All they have around me lately is the 2X stuff, not the regular. I've been buying it in a pinch a few times. I don't have any issues with it except the cans tend to clog. Otherwise it ain't that bad. But, then again I don't have any problems with Triple Thick either - lol!

8. 1fish2fish

Hey, Timjo posted once that he uses 2x too, and looks like it works for him 2, right.

Still, I packaged a SMB reproduction in bubble wrap, like a week after I glossed it with 2x. It arrived with circular indentations from the bubble wrap. No kidding, blew my mind it still hadn't cured hard. I've handled fish sealed with 2x the day before and left fingerprint indentations. Then I've handled some within 10 minutes and had no problem. I think I'm pretty consistent with my applications, I don't know. The lacquer based gloss with the chair cures hard, so that's what I'll be using until I find something else to fool with. I will admit, I'm curious about those 2 part auto glosses in a can.

Best, Scott

9. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-1901830-Painters-Touch-Gloss/dp/B000ZYXI3C

About $3.50 a can

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

11. 1fish2fish

Thanks 3 bears. Yeah, the ventilation is my issue. They make an aerosol spray can auto gloss too, but haven't seen what it can do. The other one on my list to try is the envirotex style, like Dan B uses. He graciously sent me some application details to avoid runs, but I just haven't had a chance to try it.
    Best, Scott

12. FishArt

Plus another $2 bucks a can for shipping. Not that - that matters all that much...but....

I usually stock up on Triple Thick at $2.97 a can here locally, but they've been out lately. Another option that I've toyed with and liked is Krylon's Crystal Clear Enamel. A lot less temperamental vs. T.T. and one flash and a final coat and it sparkles. Also only $2.97 a can and it is really similar to the Painters Touch stuff you like Paul. They only had two cans of it though the last time I bought gloss...

13. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

FishArt. I belive I've posted this before, but you can go to a Sherwin-Williams and have them order in your Krylon TT by the case (6) since Krylon is owned by them.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. FishArt

That's good to know Cory, thanks for the info...