1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stock Tank cracks after 1 year

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Rob, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Rob

Rob Member

I have been using a 100 gallon rubber stock tank for the last year as my degreasing tank which has been working fantastic. . The other day I noticed that I was loosing a lot of water quickly, and ended up burning up my thermostat because the water got too low. I noticed that there was a 5" crack right above the thermostat. I tried to seal it, replaced the thermostat and refilled the tank only to find out that it did not fix the leak. The tank is outside sitting on top of cinder blocks to keep it off of the ground, and has not been turned off during use. I cut an oval piece of pink 3/4" insulation to fit just inside the top of the tank, and then cut out holes to fit my degreasing pails into so the water does not evaporate as fast. Then I just empty the pails and change the water during the process while checking on the water under the pink insulation. My question is #1, Why would the tank crack ? #2 Is there any way to fix it ? Can you put a liner of some sort around the inside of the tank cutting a hole for the heating element to fit through and sealing it . My tank is wired with the water heater element and thermostat that is shown in this forum.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

As a cattleman for most of my life, I can tell you that stock tanks are temporary, regardless of the material they are made of. Metal one's develop leaks around the soldered seam on the bottom, fiberglass ones crack for no reason other than the stress of being filled with water....and then there is the constant pressure of cattle on them, which fortunately for you, is a problem you don't have! Hopefully you can patch it with fiberglass matting inside and out....but it's gonna have to be dry to do a good job, and even then failure can occur.

3. Rob

Rob Member

Is there any way to put a liner on the inside ?

4. michael69

michael69 Active Member

Dry the tank good , and get it some where warm. Get yourself a can of flex seal and follow directions. Just a tempory fix, but will buy you some time. My tank cracked after a month

5. Rob

Rob Member

So you end up spending $70.00 on a new tank every couple of years if you are lucky if it lasts that long. It is hard to make any money when you are down replacing tanks.

6. i have not had a black rubbermaid stock tank fail . even after years of constant use. you can fix your tank with plastic weld.

7. Rob

Rob Member

Where do you get plastic weld ?

8. michael69

michael69 Active Member

your lucky then, everyone i know that uses them constantly gas developed cracks

9. Tell me about it. I only had mine for a month and over night it lost all the water, fried the heater and almost flooded the basement.
    Hopefully I will be able to take it back as I don't think it should be cracking after so little time.
    I tried patching the two foot long crack with silicone and filled it 1/4 full with water and it didn't leak.
    But when I filled it all the way and heated it, it started leaking again. Any ideas? Is it just because of the excess pressure that forced it through?
    Any ideas on patching? Is there some similar product that is more durable in the long run?

10. They do fatigue and crack. I had a one develope a crack in the bottom... I stand on the edge of mine when I pull stuff out of the pickle, and it stress fractured in 7 years because of the 2x6 frame it was lifted on. The cinderblocks may have caused yours..

11. Rob

Rob Member

So if the rubber stock tanks are not the way to go for degreasing then which is the best way ? It just seems like a lot of people that degrease use the rubber stock tanks.

12. THey are the best... just figure to Replace them. Having them on a flat strong surface instead of blocks or beams is better. Also having HOT water inside and cold air outside is probably causing more stress cracks for those using them for degreasing. As an alternative Companies like NASCO Farm and Ranch, sell a black plastic pod liner like insert for leaky tanks.

13. look into a post by toxic. i dont have pics of mine but i copied his setup. a large hydraulic tank w/ metal frame. its incredible and cheaper than a new stock tank. you can make two out of it. check his post

14. FowlWeather

FowlWeather New Member

I use to take a big tub of Vaseline and put a nice thin coat on our Rubbermaid buckets for the horses. It keeps the outside supple in extreme temperatures and keeps them from cracking. Put it on with an old rag in room temperature so the rubber is soft and that should do the trick for about 6months until you re-apply.

15. skinandbonesartistry

skinandbonesartistry New Member

Check out the link below. Lots of ideas. I have been using my system for about 4 years or so and never a crackedd tank. Water remains at 120-125. I also have one tank that is a bathtub for big things. I degrease about 40-50 deer at a time in a very small area.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,290458.0.html

16. X2, it the quickest and cheapest way to get back to work.

17. did i get lost along the thread? are we talking about rubber made tanks AND rubbermaid poly stock tanks?

18. FowlWeather

FowlWeather New Member

My bad, I thought you were referring to the thick rubber horse troughs, not poly. Sorry for the confusion lol

19. lol you had me all boogered up for a minute

20. Rob

Rob Member

Thanks to all of you who helped me out contributing some Great ideas. Do not know what I would do with out this site.