1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What have you accidentally dropped into your pickle bath?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ginevive, Mar 4, 2013.

1. I thought that this would be entertaining for a thread. Today, I accidentally dropped a plastic spoon into my pickle vat. It meant nothing, but it got me to thinking. Has anyone ever dropped anything noteworthy (like a cell phone.. pair of glasses.. etc) into their pickle or liquid tan?

2. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    The entire roll of ph papers..sure that's happened to a few folks

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

3. I know of someone that dropped a Ph meter into a tub of pickle, no it wasn't me but I am married to them.

4. Ouch! I could see where that'd happen. I dropped a bunch of pH strips into my old African cichlid tank. (they require a certain pH of water.)

5. More than once I've picked up razor blades, knives and other fleshing tools with a hide and found them (metal dissolved) when I change the pickle...

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I picked up a freshly tanned cape, turned around and it slide out of my hands into the pickle vat. That bummed me out.

7. Yowch! It'd suck to lose knives or blades in there.

Did you have to re-tan the cape?

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes i did. I let it repickle for two days and put through the neutralization and tanning. It came out fine.

9. dozier

dozier New Member

Lost a skinning knife . Found it in the pickle . Not much left :)

10. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    I've got you all trumped. My 3 year old son was sitting on a stool right above my pickle bath and he fell off the stool right into the pickle. I caught him as he was going down and at least kept his head out of it thank goodness. He was fine but scared me.

11. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

About a month ago, I had a batch of skins in the pickle. I was fleshing and thinning the capes and had the lid off the bucket. Well, in my normal habit of not paying attention to my surroundings, I unplugged the flesher from the extension cord and suddenly I hear a loud bubbling and sizzling sound and look to see the female end of the extension cord I just detached submerged in the pickle bucket and putting on a fireworks display. I think running to unplug that was one of the fastest maneuvers I ever did in my life.

12. Yowch! Kids and electronics both have to take the pickle-dropping cake. :)

13. ClockworkBadger

ClockworkBadger The Aspiring Taxidermist

Good grief! If that were me I would have dropped a brick LOL

But in all seriousness, I dropped typical things.. my cell phone (the new one I got because my older one was eaten by my DOG..), a scalpel.. and a pen. Poor pen.

14. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

nothing..

it's good practice to respect your tannery and the chemicals you use with the utmost caution.

Big Dan, that sounds like one of the stupidest things i've ever heard a parent do.

not to be a downer, but if you're dropping shit into your pickle, you should probably pay MORE attention, stupid mistakes can actually be harmful to yourself, and apparently to the child of an irresponsible parent..

15. minehill

minehill New Member

Buzz kill!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. minehill

minehill New Member

Buzz kill!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. dozier

dozier New Member

My pickle has been relocated and always has a lid for years now .

18. Accidents happen. If they did not, people would never crash cars or have unplanned pregnancies occur. It's an imperfect world.

19. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

the real buzz kill is dropping shit in your pickle due to irresponsibility.. especially YOUR CHILD!!!!!!

i'm simply expressing the truth, and the dangers that are potentially involved with the harmful chemicals that are being used..

it's funny that you think i'm the buzz kill, and not the irresponsible parent who can't look after their kid... that's the real buzz kill in this thread...

i agree that this is an imperfect world, but by being aware, and conscious of our actions we have the ability to discern what's safe and not. trying to avoid potential hazards that could harm yourself and your family. there's no excuses really. most of the car accidents that occur are from stupidity, drinking and driving, or not paying attention to the road. i found it really concerning that people are doing things like putting their kid next to a pickle, or not paying attention to electrical cords.. it's one thing having an accident, it's another thing just being stupid.

nothing should ever fall into your pickle if you respect your craft and care about your product that you put you heart and sweat into.

maybe i'm taking it a bit too seriously... all that i'm saying is that perhaps when you're working in your tannery take it's worth taking a bit more seriously, because there are potential hazards that can harm you, or the people/children in your life.

happy tanning!! hopefully not your cell phones, children, knives, and electrical cords..

20. I'm with you Jen, as the title of the thread says "accidently " I suppose the critics have never had any sort of accident? Chill out a bit , read & laugh & post if you can make others laugh . CHILL OUT