1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Having Fun With Hide Paste 5 Day Update Now 10 day Update

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Doug Motgomery, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Re: Having Fun With Hide Paste 5 Day Update

I still do.

2. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

So here we go. I am going to use pliers to pull sideways on the skin insted of peeling it off. Romans 555 is first. It just came off with hardly any problem and it had some shrinkage.The glue stayed on the skin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is Epo-Gip, It came off just like Romans 555 did, but no shrinkage. Some glue stayed on the manikin most of it on the skin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Hurry Doug, can't wait all day, LOL

4. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

And then!

5. Doug Motgomery

Next was Pro-1 It was a different story. I pull on it and I could not hold the manikin,so I got my son to help me and finally pull it off, we was amazed. If you look close at, it took a layer of the manikin that stayed on the skin, and one little bit stayed on the manikin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. The edge of my seat was getting real uncomfortable!

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Go back a page Bucknut, you missed it.

8. Doug Motgomery

Next was the ones that I put Krowoil on them,555 was pull up about half way as you can see.
    [​IMG]
    And when I wint to grab it, it just fell off. Most of the glue is on the skin.
    [​IMG]

9. Doug Motgomery

Next was Epo-Grip, Same as the 555 But it was not pull up. Most of the glue stayed on the skin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tazzymoto

And then!

11. Doug Motgomery

Then Pro-1, It pull pretty hard coming off, but not like the one on top, and had the same results.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Doug Motgomery

Things you need to think about is, thees skins was not capitulated all 4 Conner's was open and that might have made a differents, The ones that I oil I did not wipe off the skins with any thinner. This test was for me, and I just shared with you all, so you guys can make up your on mind...........But for me and my shop.........Pro-1 Is the best glue out there.
    PS I am on my 8th deer and no drumming in my ears.....Thank you Paul with coming up with a outstanding product.

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I really liked Pro-1 when I tried it, but with the shipping I think it was close to $65-$80 a gallon and since Michael P's recipe worked just as well (as far as not drumming) and was about the same cost for 15 gallons, it didn't make sense FOR ME to spend the extra money.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I might have to go back to Pro-1 and order a case. Shipping for one gallon was $16.00 , a case may be only $20.00, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the test Doug.

15. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Yup you would have to do other tests but I'd say pro 1 is prob the better glue. You would also have to run a cost vs effectiveness based analysis on these products as well and even though I've never used the other 2 types of adhesives and I have excellent results with 555 and its cheap without having to mix my own paste I can pretty much do the analysis in my head (Ha like I could even come up with a real mathematical analysis anyways lol) and decide there is no reason to change from the $20/gal 555 I've used for years. I'm sure Pro 1 is a great product, if not the best product, just not for me buisiness wise. Cool test tho Doug.

16. Always seems to come down to the cost. I will eat the extra 5$ per shoulder mount and continue to use pro-1. just a thought, but have you ever had someone have water damage and need some mounts redone or repaired? I bet with pro-1 the hide can washed and groomed v/s tearing it apart because your hide paste gave up. JMO

Doug, thanks for sharing your test. It was a lot of fun and good information for all of us.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I guess what it comes down to FOR ME is the old debate, you get what you pay for. If you go cheep, the quality suffers somewhat. I don't know if the quality suffers enough to warrant the cost of the higher quality glue, Pro 1, with out a price hike on the mounts. If it costs $30 or more for Pro 1 than 555 then a $50 price hike would be in order. Maybe it's time to raise my prices 'cause I can here that gallon of Pro 1 calling my name.lol

18. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

where does derma grip hang with these three other glues

19. Doug Motgomery

I have never used derma grip, so you would have to do your own test.

20. tazzymoto

I would think that with the oil on the skin the glue would stick to the manikin, Not the other way around