1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Grease on feathers?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Adam Edwards, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Does anyone know if this is caused by grease i didn't wash completely off or is it because the feathers didn't dry enough? Anything i can do to fix it or to prevent it from happening again? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. I had a similar problem. I washed my bird with Dawn rinsed and dried. Feathers looked exactly like that. Found out from Nancy C that I did not rinse the feathers enough to remove all the soap residue. I took her advice and have not had a problem since. Try that, it may be your problem. Good Luck

3. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Its hard to tell to me it looks like a grooming issue to me. You can blow air over the feathers and get the barbels to lock together. If you didn't do a good job of degreasing your teal I presume it would show up in other places other than the wing areas. You really need to get the feathers dry all the way to the downy layer. I tumble my birds twice. Once after I degrease them and just before I mount them, I use a shop-vac with the hose on the discharge side to dry my birds from teal to turkeys. It works well for me and the birds are super dry plumage wise. Hope this helps good luck.

4. Looks more like drumming or feathers that torqued as they dried rather than grease? I would try a large cosmetic brush and stroke the feathers in the right direction to see if they will close up, and come together. Did you use caulking or something that perhaps dried and pulled the feathers towards the leading edge? Just from the single closeup, it looks like there are other feathers out of alignment, and maybe they suffered some abuse during your wing inversion, but I believe most of it could be fixed with a soft brush. If it is grease, maybe you need to take more time fleshing and washing?

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

doesn't look like a teal to me.

6. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Feathers that are split have not been rinsed properly. If you are meticulous about fleshing and give them a good scrub with Dawn rinsing is the ONLY step that can result in feathers looking like that. Poor internal anatomy might cause feathers to shift and distort but not split.

7. Looks like a rinsing issue to me. I have also had this occasionally and most times I buffet the feathers with air from my compressor at about 60 PSI held about a foot away. If that doesn't work then I would have to say its a rinsing issue.

I made this after reading it from the one and only EPIC WINGMAN

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,26873.0.html

It works beautifully.

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I agree with what the others have said. I doubt that it's grease. (it might be from grease suspended in the wash water, but probably not.)
    It looks more like a bird that wasn't washed and rinsed thoroughly enough. Even the slightest bit of soap residue can cause that result. There isn't anything you can do about it at this point.
    If you notice any feather issues on a bird when you are first drying it, that's the time to stop everything and re-wash it. (some grumbling is allowed)
    The feathers should dry smooth and already zipped together, or at least very willing to zip together. If they don't, there's a problem.

9. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I was guessing it was a Greenwing Teal . . . and your guess would be? Not that it's important to the question asked I'm just curious of your guess oh stirrer of the crap . . .

10. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Thanks for the replies everyone, i will take more time rinsing and see how that goes. Thanks again

11. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

I think I'd put my money on green winged teal as well... if I were a bettin' man. :)