1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New way??? For NTA

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by millardtaxi, Mar 5, 2013.

1. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

Why can we not have one board member of each state assn. Be elected as a national rep and then our national board be selected from that and that way they would answer to the state assn.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

No disrespect, but that would smell a lot like state affiliation.

3. millardtaxi

Works flawlessly for the national trappers assn and the share duties of hosting the national shows. I don't see what you mean tim? Just curious not disagreeing just tossing ideas.

4. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Would not have to be directly related to any state association. I do see the point being made. If there was a representative from our sate and they came to our meetings to let us know what was going on and promote the "National" organization, I think it would make it more visible and stronger.

5. millardtaxi

Exactly my point wildside...

6. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

State would not have to be affiliated but that would get confusing. The NTA doesn't need 13 board members and an executive director either for that matter....!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I could see a regional rep such as the UTA has, but a different rep for each state would be too much and not needed. The NTA is not that big and there are states that don't have an assoc. or could afford to send someone to the meeting, and some who could care less about the NTA.

8. millardtaxi

I believe the more reps you have the less chance you have to have wrong doing going on. And then you can grow a big national organization that we can all be proud of and trust. Instead of the laughing stock, untrustworthy national assn that we have now. Like I said just tossing ideas anything is better than what's going on with the Board we have now. The more people are held accountable too the better.

9. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

But Tim......

**No disrespect, but that would smell a lot like state affiliation.**

No it doesn't. The problem with the old 100% NTA State Affiliation program was that ALL members of those states had to be NTA members...THAT was the problem. I bet that all states have taxidermists. You can still have a representative from each state even if that state does not have a taxidermy association. A state representative for the NTA does not have to represent an association, but represent taxidermists.

I like the idea of having 50 representatives for a NATIONAL taxidermy organization. It prevents the GOOD OLD BOYS trap that we are in NOW.

:)

Kerby...

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is hard to get 2 people to agree on things, now try that with a group as large as suggested. I understand what you are saying but it just wouldn't work. I think a regional rep is a great idea but a board member from every state would be a nightmare. Kerby, You replyed while I was typing this, I do not think it will eliminate the "good ol boys club". It has the potential to do the opposite. Bigger is not always better.

11. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

3bears...it is called.....

3bears...it is called "Representation". The NTA does not represent 99% of the taxidermist in the United States.

Regional would be better. Each state would be even better. Meetings can be done over the phone, not in person. Very doable.

Leaders can make it happen. Too easy.

Kerby...

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Kerby, I too would like an organization that represents us all, but I don't think it will work. I tend to be skeptical, but I believe the phone meeting idea would end up being like posting on the net. People would say things that they would never say face to face, and the pissen matchs would never be settled. Leaders have to be chosen by those who are to be lead. Board members are not leaders, board members are followers, they are to do what is best for the members of and the organizations, not neccesarily what is best for them individualy. I feel this is how the NTA got screwed up in the first place. Some of the board got too big for their britches and got selfish. I am not a member of the NTA or have never been, so all I see is what is posted here. If I am wrong, I can live with that.

13. millardtaxi

Kerby, 3bears, that's why I posted this thread to get some discussion going on new ideas and and I see both sides of your concerns and ideas, and hopefully thru level headed discussion and ideas one day their will be a well ran and represented national organization for all of us to join and attend and learn from one another to continue the heritage of taxidermy that obviously we all love. Cause we aren't getting rich from it.

14. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I'm part of a weekly teleconference with 5 people. It's not as easy as you think. Hard as we try, almost impossible not to interrupt or trample on each other a couple times a meeting. Now throw in a heated topic where everyone wants to make their point. Couldn't imagine having 30, 40 or 50 on the call.

15. millardtaxi

What if we elected a national rep from each of the top 10 state assn. ( by member count) to represent us as a national org. Just a thought

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

The more people you have, the bigger cluster **** you have.

You don't need but 4 board members, a secretary, treasurer and president. Get rid of the stupid ED position.

To put it simply put it, use the KISS method.

18. millardtaxi

Promote membership within your state as well as national org. But I do see it affecting smaller states such as NJ. Maybe 8 largest with 2 alternate..... 3 bears? Like I said just tossing ideas

19. millardtaxi

Michael P I'd be good with that too as long as it didn't become the good ol Boy club and if your not in the click your out. As you know all to well about by the way they treated you.

20. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I agree Michael keep it simple. I won't go saying that 4 is enough on the board, you need an odd number. Most of the year less than 12 should be sufficient I would think. I recently stepped down from the board of a 501c organization with a member base of about 150. They have a board of 9 members and it seems to work. Just my experience with a similar situation not saying it is right or wrong, just throwing it out there.