1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First whitetail doe mount...would love to hear some opinions and advice

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kjjones, Mar 5, 2013.

1. kjjones

kjjones New Member

This is my first mount ever. Shes 4 days into drying and no finish work has been done yet.
    I would love to hear what some experienced taxidermists have to say about it so I know where I need to improve.

Thank you all for your time!

Attached Files:

2. First thing I see is the eyes, looks cross eyed, also eye shape is off.

3. kjjones

kjjones New Member

Did I really just mount a cross eyed deer? Ok I didn't want to be one of those people who don't notice their own mistakes (I do notice a couple), but maybe I am?
    Ok I just noticed in this picture one nostril looks way bigger than the other too. I'm pretty sure she isn't really like that, I spent a lot of time making it symmetrical, maybe its the picture angle. Ill have to check on that when I get home.

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

ear butts weak ???

5. kjjones

kjjones New Member

yes i definently agree about the ear butts, i did not use enough clay and by the time i actually paid attention to that fact, i already had the deer sewn up and couldnt add more. lesson learned on that one

6. the thing i noticed is one ear butt is too high the other one looks good

7. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

The deer looks cross eyed because you have whites showing in the backs of both eyes. If you are going to show whites, one should be front and one should be in the back.

8. kjjones

kjjones New Member

Thank you for explaining why my deer is looking crosseyed. I had never heard of not putting the white in the back of both. I gueess I have not researched enough yet. I doubt it but, is there anything I could do to fix this now? Everything is pretty much dried and the clay is hard.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I am very sure that the nostrils are not the proper shape.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

WRONG! The eyes appear crossed is because they're set to look that way. Next time you set the eyes, stand out front and see where it's "looking". Rotating the eyes are front/back but a deer looking straight ahead COULD/SHOULD be back/back.

In reality, the appearance is that way because coupled with the ear butts set too far down the neck, the right ear is lower. This gives a conveyed appearance. Ear butts are ALWAYS ON A LINE FROM THE NOSTRIL THROUGH THE EYE.

11. kjjones

kjjones New Member

0k thank you, it's starting to make more sense now. One thing though (hopefully I dont sound like a complete moron) , I used a form with accu set eyes and lined my pupils up with the marks on the manikin, is this contributing to my mount being crosseyed at all? I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what I did to make it turn out this way. Also overall it is horrible for my first mount ever being self taught? I
    ( havent heard a good thing yet (here hoping I at least did something right) :-\

12. George

Did you read my post??? If the eyes are "crossed" it's because you did check the out by standing UN front of your mount. Forget the gimmicks and never blindly trust a firm to offset your deficiencies.

13. kjjones

kjjones New Member

Yes George and thank you very much for your advice and taking the time to comment. Ive got a lot of learning and practice to do yet and I guess my biggest problem is that I dont see it as being 'cross eyed' so Im having a hard time understanding it. This is where my total lack of experience is playing in.

14. George

The pictures aren't of enough quality for me to tell. It may NOT be cross eyed and some may have ASSumed it was because of the white scleral bands. I do know the anatomy issues throw off the appearance.

15. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

I was taught that a little white showing at the back corners of both eyes was an acceptable way of setting eyes. That's taking into account the rest of the anatomy is correct. White showing in both back corners doesn't necessarily mean the eyes are crossed.

16. tru2life

tru2life Member

She doesn't looked cross eyed to me, the ears are definately not set right and the nostrils are way off just my opinion

17. kj, don't sweat it. you can walk away from that thing for a week, come back and look and all sorts of stuff will jump out at you that you didn't see before. i had to make a detailed list of what to look for during mounting, while drying and then when finishing. it might help you to do the same. have fun

18. kjjones

kjjones New Member

thank you all.
    Skulley, I love the advice about the list. That is something that will be very helpful to me as I got so caught up in the moment of everything that there was tons I forgot to check until it was too late. And you are right about seeing things later you didnt see before, the nostrils of mine are a great example of that. I thought they were good until I saw then in the picture now I dont know how I missed it!

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Wrong. If any white should show on the back side of the eye, it better be a sliver of white only. Nothing more, unless the deer eyes are rotated left or right. Glen Conley bless his soul, had a photo of this sliver showing if anyone knows where to find it here.

20. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

Right! T--I think your definition of "sliver" and my definition of "a little" are the same.