1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Three-toed Sloth???

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Ozwalt, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Does anyone know of a supplier that offers a 3-toed sloth form? I can't find any, so I'm guessing I'll be carcass-casting this thing, but crossing my fingers there's a form out there hiding somewhere.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You might want to get ahold of Daniel M. on here. I seem to remember he posted a sloth on here fairly recently.

3. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    No forms that I know of but they are very simple. A sloth is honestly one of the easiest mammals to wrap, very little detail in the body, the ribs extend the whole length of the body so it just an oblong oval shape. Caving or carcass casting should be fairly easy as well.

I've only done one sloth so far, but I've got a couple more to do, hopefully. Maybe I'll just sculpt a form....

Here's a link to it, that may help you.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,219534.msg1550058.html#msg1550058

4. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Take Daniel's advice. While I have never mounted a sloth, from just looking at one there is nothing to wrapping a body for one. For something unique like a sloth, that you might never see again, it's really not worth going through the BS trying to make a carcass cast for it. Make an alginate or plaster mold of the face and pour a foam core from it for the head and wire it to the wrapped body.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i have mounted quite a few of them...very simple to wrap or carve a body out of foam..cast the head

6. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice.