1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf - Coyote or Dog ??????

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by frehtaxi, Mar 6, 2013.

1. This was killed next to my shop in North East Indiana.
    Were are not suppose to have Wolfs around here.
    My guess is a Wolf but what do you guys think?
    Measurements are 5" E-N
    49" Nose To Base of Tail
    34" Girth

Attached Files:

2. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

We don't have wolves here in NW Illinois either ;)

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    The ears are too long for a Wolf, and the head has too much of a 'stop' for a pure blooded wild Canine. The white toes also tells me it is a hybrid Dog/Coyote.

4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

BS I have plenty of interior black Alaskan wolves with white feet and toes. hmmm must be a bunch of dogs running around on those Alaskan trap lines...The white toes ans foot argument won't float. It's a wolf, probably captive or a cross dog wolf bred and got loose. No long hair chevron on back rues out coyote. It's wolf or part wolf. We have wolves all over lower Michigan...SHHHH it's a secret...

5. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

It's awesome. Are you going to mount it?

6. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Looks quite a lot like a silver sable German shepherd: http://www.ceyworkingshepherds.com/images/baileyfence.jpg

I'm normally a skeptic of the idea that coyotes and dogs mate as often as people say they do, but this could very well be a true F1 hybrid.

7. *

Shepards have striaght tail hair nothing like this tail, thats wolf tail...

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Its an eastern coyote, plain and simple. True eastern strains are likely a result of distant crosses with the red wolves that are now threatened by that crossing and supposed habitat loss.

Wolves have a different toes, toe nails and foot length, and shorter ears than coyotes. Eastern coyotes have that heavier offset in the teeth. Eastern coyotes are big, those numbers are not unusual.

9. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Can I buy it from you...PM me if so?

10. *

If those numbers are correct he weighs 90 to 100lbs
    Biggest coyote I've EVER seen a huge one here is 4 1/2 by 40 by 24 and they are 60lb + those are HUGE!

11. what ever it is, very pretty. i believe it to be more wolf than anything else and until someone shows me a coyote that weighs in even at 80 lbs, it just aint so. hey bill, sorry to go against ya. i might not have but i seen that you are a has been now so............ ;)

12. I have to agree with Dennis on this.
    Skined it today, I didn't weigh it but I am sure it is well over 100lbs. and its a female.
    I mounted a couple Ontario Canada Wolves the other year and except for color they were just like this one as far as size.
    I have mounted a ton of Large male Coyotes and they never weigh over 50 to 65lbs. and this is going to have to be mounted on a Wolf manikin for sure.

13. Bill Yox

To those who are not in agreement with me, I dont get where you saw a weight until the very last post preceding this one. Im telling you for certain that I have those same numbers on coyotes, Im doing two today with 4 3/4 e/n and 48 and 49 lengths. But like you guys said, theyd likely weigh about 50 to 60 lbs. I just dont see that animal pcitured, with the same measurements as these two I have here, weighing 40 more lbs, and nothing in the pic showing any additional girth. It just doesnt look like it could be that heavy. Ive mounted wolves and coyotes, and I guess we will have to agree to disagree, that just doesnt have wolf traits, like deep shoulders, big nose, narrow eyes with wider lower skull, long toes and heavy claws or heavier legs. Sorry guys. Worse yet, I hate looking like Im being a jerk by not agreeing...Im really not intentionally!

14. *

+

Bill your not convicing me when i just skinned a bobcat, smaller legs and smaller skull measured 40" by 24" in the body and weight has 41.5 lbs certified scale.
    This animal lying on there floor, and look that a 55 gallon drum next to it weight less than 90 to 100 lbs with those measurements.
    Now add longer legs and a much bigger skull and neck along with 50% more girth and 20%_ more length and all you get is 10or 20lbs...
    NOPE, even the guy skinned it said it's weight was near what I said...

15. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=89261
    I thought I read somewhere about a wolf found in Indiana. It's been a few years but if it happened once twice is possible.

16. Bill Yox

Im not out to discredit the story, or be anti wolf, although I doubt theres many in Indiana. Im not calling anyone a liar, nor am I saying you guys dont know what youre talking about, although by disagreeing with you, it would seem that way. Dennis you and me are buddies, but I just dont see it that big. Check this out, tell me what this weighs, and what it is. This animal is 4 7/8 x 49 x 30ish easily and Im 5"10" and 240 in this picture...

[​IMG]

17. *

Bill yes that's a 60lb yote but take a REAL good look at this one's FEET. Blow up the picture and look at the length of those toes...those toes are way to long for yote. your getting old man break down and weare the glasses it's okay. I've accepted them....LOL
    The leg length is longer than your yote, The TAIL..... most yotes tails do not grow as long a thier legs, wolves tail do, LOOK CLOSER ...
    Bill we aint going to agree, I like blondes so my wife is one, you like Brunettes so you got one of those , let's agree to disagree...My friend
    I just see different things that/s all, But it's a WOLF WOLF WOLF WOLF and it weigh about 90 to 100 lbs..... LOL

Good night .... 8)

18. Lmao. Mines a redhead so I win. Bill u ain't being a jerk or rude. Hope I ain't being taken that way either. I would guess your yote around 65 . I think that black thing goes at least 80. But all the blame goes to the gomer that skun it out without weighing it!! ;)

19. sittinpretty

sittinpretty New Member

I might be new to this site, but I'm not new to coyote hunting. I'm going with has been on this one, coyote.

20. Call game and fish...since they are federally protected I bet they will be happy to run DNA for you. I can't tell for sure but I'm glad that I didn't shoot it and glad it's not in my shop! That would make me nervous. Down the road-