1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf - Coyote or Dog ??????

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by frehtaxi, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Someone get Bob over here. He'll tell us what it is!

2. xWolfHauntx

xWolfHauntx New Member

PA
    Being around wolf dogs for the last decade or so, that thing, if it's truly as big as they say, looks like quite the handsome wolf dog. Certainly not a pure wolf, that's for sure, but it could be a wolf dog or coywolf.

Maybe it's even a really pretty coydog?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. Ok. It's a COYF. And don't ask George what it is or we will never figure it out! ;)

4. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Sure is a nice lookin' animal.

5. New to taxidermy but I'm a die hard predator hunter... I've seen coyotes and coy dogs by the dozens alive in lots of situations hunting, reviewing footage, as a pet etc. In my opinion a lot of things say no way on this being coyote or coydog.I know roll your eyes at the young girl newbie but I see tons of coyote mounts on here and at shows and the one thing that jumps out at me as not right on a coyote mount is the nose length and width. It's jumping at me on this too. In mounting it's a lot to do with forms and overfilling but nature doesn't lie. Wolves have a blocky head compared to coyotes. Shorter wider noses more proportioned ears and squarer heads. Coyotes have more streamline top nots, narrow taller ears and long slim nose ( faces ). I have close relatives that raise wolves and this although I doubt full looks like a wolf. Weight, paws, ears, nose, SIZE unless a coyote screwed a blocky headed, great Dane wolf hybrid that thing has no coyote in it. It is beautiful though and I'd love to have called it in and put a arrow through it!!!!

6. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Reguardless of what it is its beautiful and no one will know for sure unless its DNA tested.

7. OK cause I don't like being called a Gomer I went down to the barn and shock the salt from hide.Now mind you it drained all night so it lost some weight. Put carcass, fleshings and hide on scale 88lbs. subtract 5lbs for trash can.

8. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

No way a Coyote.

9. WildNatureLuver

WildNatureLuver New Member

That is a eastern coyote , they do possess a strain of wolf in their genetic.

[​IMG]

10. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I was a trapping instructor in Ohio and worked close with some local game wardens. They the state of Ohio did a study and collected skulls from all over the state and NEVER could genetically prove a dog/coyote or coy-dog. The size and color range of coyotes are all over the board. My personnel best is 46 lbs i would have bet he weighed 60 . . that's why I don't gamble much.

11. lol sorry to call you a gomer, i was just foolin. YOU DA MAN for going n weighing that. aint no yote 88lbs. show me a yote that weighs 88lbs naturally and i will buy u a steak dinner

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

That steak dinner is safe, as there isnt an eastern coyote thats not a hybrid to begin with. That was my point, but Im being outnumbered. Besides, I thought you meant Gomer in a good way, lol.

13. oh i did bill. but since i have never talked w/ the person that i called gomer i thought i better do a wee bit of back tracking. was glad that he weighed that thing though, was really curious about that. i believe that the eastern yotes have some red wolf in them from way back, but just cannot wrap my brain around a coyote being over 65 lbs. those red wolves were not that large to begin with, compared to lobos or timbers. anyway, this was a fun thread.

14. Hey Skulley,
    I was sure you didn't mean anything bad calling me a Gomer :) ;) I had allot to get done yesterday along with skinning that whatever and just did not think about weighing it at the time. Anyway I thought about it all night and wanted to know for sure myself.

And to everyone wanting to know if I am going to sell it, at this point and time NO I am going to get it tanned and put it in the freezer with all my other personal items I am going to mount someday.

15. silverbuck

silverbuck New Member

We do get some dandy coyotes up here in the northern adirondacks,which have a touch of wolf in them,I have seen some that weighed 60-70 lbs after being shot and weighed.I got one myself that weighed 57 lbs.But 88 lbs. is pretty darn big.

16. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

Northern Bills never go 240lbs

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Coyotes don't get a CITIES tags right. If this animal was presented for wolf registration, I'm betting it would get a tag. Yes yotes do come in many colors and sizes and can interbreed with other canines but this looks more like a wolf than a yote. As stated, without a DNA test the true answer won't be known. I for one would not give anyone reason to dig deeper into this.

18. Not to hijack but what would you call this one I trapped her in January here in Ohio I put her on the scale @67lbs biggest yote I have caught or seen in the area

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

19. looks like a big 'ol yote to me.............BIG

20. sittinpretty

sittinpretty New Member

Looks like a black lab to me