1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

snapping turtle eyes

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by drake87, Mar 6, 2013.

1. I just bought this old snapping turtle mount, not sure why they would stretch the neck out 14 inches. But my question is where do you get turtle eyes at? I check van dykes nothing.

Attached Files:

2. D.Herg

D.Herg New Member

Ohio
    Van Dykes doe have turtle eyes. They are just called reptile eyes. Use the ones with round pupils in the avocado color.
    http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/RVRP-Round-Pupil-C419.aspx.
    Tohickon also has them. You can also paint your own using a black fine point marker, finger nail polish and a flint eye with a round pupil

3. tracy

tracy coon dogs

so what does a old snapping turtle go for

4. D.Herg

D.Herg New Member

Ohio
    I charge a minimum of $150 for the first 5lb and $12 a lb after that. Weighed whole before skinning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. I paid 250 it's shell is 15x16 inches

6. The Ojibwa

The Ojibwa Member

Ohio
    None of they eyes on the market are accurate IMO. I paint all of my turtle eyes.

Nice to see some Ohio turtles, Dave Herg...do you do very many per year?

7. D.Herg

D.Herg New Member

Ohio
    I get around 30 every year. Alot of people don't think of getting a turtle done until the see the ones I have on display. I do a lot as table lamps.
    [​IMG]

8. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

I was in search of snapping turtle eyes a few weeks ago. Biggest eye I could find was 10mm and I needed eyes for a 14mm eye socket. Custom made from Tohikan is the only way I could find to get an accurate snapping turtle eye. Send them a pic of what you want and the size and you can have the right set for about $12 more than the other eyes

9. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

The eyes on the market suck and if thats what you are using the judge should be tearing your ass up. You need to paint your own eyes or have custom eyes made like Chip and Patrick have done or talked about. Everything else is just freaking wrong and can be proven with reference. 8)