1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mount! Please review.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by greslyel, Mar 6, 2013.

1. greslyel

greslyel Member

This is my first attempt at taxidermy. I have no formal training other than watching videos on youtube. So please review and give tips and pointers. I look forward to constructive criticism so I can learn how to improve my work. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. greslyel

greslyel Member

Here are two more pictures of the bird.

The first is after I have extended the wings a little.
    The second is a frontal view of the bird.

Attached Files:

3. greslyel

greslyel Member

And here is a close up of the head.

Attached Files:

4. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Wing look to far back and they are in differant locations. You need to get the duck cleaner and groom better.

5. greslyel

greslyel Member

Thanks for the review. Every bit of critique helps!

6. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Keep after it .Practice all you can and make each one better than the last. I agree your feathers look greasy.

7. greslyel

greslyel Member

Oh I plan to and I soaked the skin in dawn for several hours, but I put a lot of dawn in the water and I don't think I rinsed very well. Now that that has been mentioned a lot I have noticed it. Thanks again for the review! Every little bit helps!

8. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Soaking doesnt do much, you need to scrub it. If you put dishes in the sink with dawn and let them soak, do they come out clean? Not without some scrubbing. I usually wash 3x and rinse 3x afterwards.

9. greslyel

greslyel Member

Roger. That definitely was the problem then. I didn't scrub it because I was worried about losing feathers. Now that I know that it won't hurt it to scrub it I'll scrub the next one several times. Thanks for the help!

10. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

Then a little fabric softener to break down the soap residue.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. The wings are spread out a little far. The flight feathers should come back and touch the body. From your top view pic there is space so just pull the wings back a little next time. I always get good references

12. greslyel

greslyel Member

That's something I failed to do. Thanks for the help!

13. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

next bird you wash, after fleshing, place your bird in warm water and put your dawn right on the skin. Agitate the water, use your finger to remove any blood from shot, etc.. You can't get too rough with the skin. Then rinse several times. Make sure your feathers are dry, including the down feathers and mount. :)

14. greslyel

greslyel Member

Well-needed advice. Definitely a step I thoroughly missed. Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie! Have a great week!

15. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

Grit o cob in a box and shake after washing. Then use a hair dryer on COLD to blow dry and fluff the down. If the skin gets a little dry, an atomizer bottle with Lysol water will rehydrate.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. greslyel

greslyel Member

I will keep this in mind! Thanks for your time and advice!

17. vetanddamnproud

vetanddamnproud Pray for our troops who are still out in harms way

Make a great looking dead mount ,hang him upside down on some old barnwood and youll have a beautifull greenwing dead mount .Do you want to sell it I need dead mount Greenwing PM ME

18. Brent W

Brent W New Member

Ummm dont think he can sell it or you can buy it....Just sayin....You dont want the feds knocking on the door ;) Only pen raised waterfowl may be sold and only with the proper certificates. You can mount your own wild birds but they cant be sold. Look into the federal migratory bird regulations.

19. Brent W

Brent W New Member

You can have a bird gifted to you...I should have mentioned that previously. Simply a guy can give you a bird and again he needs to give you something saying it was a gifted bird.

20. vetanddamnproud

vetanddamnproud Pray for our troops who are still out in harms way

Thanks For the heads up Mr. Brent I had forgoten about the Federal deal with waterfowl and many other animals .Again Thanks for the reminder , I sure dont want to get myself or no one else in trouble thats for sure.