1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

For you guys that arent sure how to attach a turkey to a branch

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Just thought of this. Here is my turkey
    [​IMG]

Here is the bottom of the branch. Its foam so I cut off a chunk and ran the wire threw. There is a piece of plywood that goes threw the branch, so i cut right down to the plywood. I used a c clamp to get the wire tight to the board and ran screws in pairs to hold the wire tight. Then I shaved the chunk of branch foam thin so i could out the chunk were it belongs over the wires and screws. Glue it back in place. I filled in the crack with critter clay which was a close match. Just touch it up with some paint and you will never see it. This brand i got from McKenzie, don't waste your money on the one from Research.Hope this helps. [​IMG]

2. Great tip , Thanks

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

That will definitely do it, but I think you are working too hard.
    You can also cut the wires off flush with where they exit the perch and then run a few drywall screws alongside them up into the hole that you drilled.
    They will tighten it down like you wouldn't believe!

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Really Nancy I didn't think that would hold. I thought about doing that. Ill have to try that. Thanks

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

X2....the only thing that I AM sure of, is that I'm not going to do it your way!! lol

6. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

This method works very well. This is how I fasten all my Turkeys. Tim Jordan does this on his instructional dvd.

7. sittinpretty

sittinpretty New Member

What do u do to hide the four drywall screws on the bottom of the branch if u do it that way

8. ElkinsTaxidermy

Mix up a spoonful of mache and create a bump or knot. Matches the limb perfectly. I can't even imagine doing all of Shawn73's technique with a mounted bird on the limb.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X2 I use the larger "drywall" screws that are gray in color. As Nancy says, they cut into the support wire and pull it down when they bottom out. They're MUCH easier to cover when you're done.

10. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

That's how we do all of ours. Most of our birds have to be disassembled and shipped, and this method is ideal for that.

11. ElkinsTaxidermy

Taking a nut off or removing two drywall screws......not much difference. Not even to mention, when you thread a 3/16" rod, you have an 1/8" or LESS wire afterwards!!! Not even worth the hassle of threading.

12. A- Fish

Threading seems a little more professional and user friendly in my opinion, especially when your dealing with retail clients. I am sure your method is great Ron, I'm not questioning that it works. I have used it when I ran out of threads.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I disagree. I use a perch similar to the one Anthony Eddy sells. Two quarter inch holes. Cut the rod 1/8 to 1/4 inch short of orotrudind and then sink the screw in the hole. A dab of Apoxy or Critter Clay and you can't tell where it was. Thread stock is cheap pot metal and can fracture just by bending it. If that happens you're SOL. Rod stock is easier to insert and much more stable to use.

14. A- Fish

I guess I am referring to mounts that have to be assembled and disassembled multiple times( for shipping or transport). I can explain the process to my clients a little easier, and it may be a bit more self explanatory for someone who isn't a taxidermist or mechanically inclined.

I normally thread 6 gauge, but your right anytime you thread anything it weakens it. I haven't had a problem and my clients haven't either, but I will keep that method in mind.Thanks George and Ron for your input !

15. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I tried using threaded stock before and i was SOL the rod broke and had to take it all apart and had to run to home depot and get new wire, that was a long night...

16. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

We all have long nights Shawn. What looks like a lot of work for me obviously works well for you. I like that for a comp piece and may try it sometime. I have not had a lot of luck with the threaded rods and usually use 6 gauge with the drywall screws. For me, that is my comfort zone as that is what I'm used to and have had the best experience with. Thanks for the tip and keep mounting!