1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet horns

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by cgotreaux, Mar 8, 2013.

1. cgotreaux

cgotreaux New Member

One of my buddys gave me a axis deer to practice mounting. The horns are still in velvet. How do I go about keeping the velvet on the horns. I can't find anything about that. Thank you

2. I had my whitetail freeze dried but I know there's chemicals out there but I never used any of them but u will want to freeze the horns till u preserve them in some way

3. Knobloch's makes a product called velvet tan that works pretty well. You can find it at most supply companies. James Supply also carries an injection fluid that you can spray on the antlers and then let them dry. Personally, I like the artificial velvet option. Ben at Replicaracks.com does a great job putting it on and at a reasonable price. Research Mannikins also offers the service. As was noted before, you'll want to keep the antlers frozen until you have whatever you are going to put on them in hand.

4. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Ive tried the inject stuff from the supply catalogs and i didnt care for it much. Freeze drying will give you the best end result imo. But i choose to inject formaldehyde, it preserves them really well, you will get some shrinkage and it can be hazardous if the proper precautions aren't taken. Artificial velvet is great looking if you dress them up a bit.

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

5. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

first off, deer don't have horns, & horns don't have velvet. Are you sure its a deer?

6. I have a pair I am sending to Jetz Taxidermy in Kerrville TX.

7. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Research does velveting??? Does anyone have any information on their work and cost?

8. You best bet is to get them freeze dried,

9. knoblochs product on velvet that has hard antler under has worked very good for me.

10. I would have them freeze dried. The problem with the injectable's is that if you miss a spot some where then you will have decay and slippage.