1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wax as a Filler??????

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by MassTaximan, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Started restoring an old 60lb skin mounted Atlantic cod today. The paint on the head, around the eyes and throat are had cracked in these areas specifically. After stripping the paint and gloss coat it appears these areas were all rebuilt with wax. Has anyone ever seen this? There is a lot in the rebuilt areas but it appears sound. My question can I keep it and seal repaint or will these areas continue to crack?? Any suggestions would be Greatly appreciated.

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Wax was a common method for rebuilding fish, even up into the 70's. The wax was usually sealed with shellac and painted over. It's been a while since I've encountered a wax job, but I think I'd try to remove the wax with a heat gun and rebuild the areas with epoxy.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I wasn't around in da business back then. But, I've done a few restores where wax was used. One restore the guy used wax on the fins to rebuild or reinforce or whatever. What a PAIN IN THE ARSE to deal with! It's a pain to get everything off. Or to get something to grab if you leave it. If it were me, I'd leave the wax alone if you can - assuming you can seal or shellac it over the wax and get it to grab. I don't think they expected us folks in the future to be restoring these guys. But, if the wax still looks okay, I wouldn't mess with it. You'll create a lot of work for yourself. JMO...

4. Seems fine the paint just seemed to crack in these areas. Not sure how long it took after originally mounted it took to start cracking or it was due to temp changes or maybe the skin wasn't totally dry but if you thing the paint won't immediately crack I'll leave some of the areas with the wax. Some areas I will remove and rebuild with epoxie.

5. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I think we got waxed the first week of Nov.

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. gasman1

gasman1 The Big One Almost Got Away

N.C
    we used wax back in the old days, around eyes also used wood wool and joint compound to build body's.

8. If I prime it good will the paint crack again? What would have caused that?

9. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Paul hit the nail on the head!

10. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Your problem with the paint cracking is most likely due to the wax softening up when it warms up. I have seen a few that actually "sagged" when exposed to too much heat.

11. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

OBAMA