1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pleas help with Seam or stitching stretch

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by cq.117, Mar 9, 2013.

1. cq.117

cq.117 New Member

I have just finished my first whitetail and it looks good but i just noticed the seam is slightly stretched apart. Its not noticable and the hair covers it nicely but i was wondering if it will only get worse or if there is something i can do? Its a short y cut and so far its about a eighth or quarter of a inch in some spots. If you have any ideas on what i can do please let me know. The mount is dry and all the finished. Thanks for your help. chris

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

How far apart are your stitches?

3. Sounds like your stitches are a bit too far apart. Also, once you have completed most of your work and your down to just fine adjustments, you can take a piece of hardware cloth and staple it down that seem. This will also help keep your seem flat as it dries.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Did you apply hide paste under them?

5. cq.117

cq.117 New Member

yea i used hide paste and used a piece of cardboard with t-pins over the seam. everything lays nice and you cant tell where the stitches or seam is at unless you feel for it. i just didnt want it to stretch apart much further. This is my first mount ever. so i didnt know if i should do anything about it or if it will be fine. everything is dried solid so maybe its fine how it is? my stitches are around a 1/8 -1/4 inch apart baseball stitched. Thanks for your time. chris

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

IMO, 1/8 to 1/4 inch is ALREADY too much. My stitches are that close together and they don't pull open at all.

7. cq.117

cq.117 New Member

i am just trying to figure out what went wrong then. i had plenty of stiching. the only thing i can think of is that they were not tied off good enough at the end? so is there nothing i can do now that its dry?

8. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

If its dried solid now you should be fine. Probably just didn't get Them pulled tight enough when you were sewing. On longer haired critters I'll take as much as 3/8 inch sometimes and have never had any trouble with the seam separating.

9. cq.117

cq.117 New Member

like i said you cant see any of it but i just want to know if it will get worse to where it will become noticeable? and if i can do anything now to prevent it?

10. cq.117

cq.117 New Member

ok thank you so much for all your info. Im getting ready to start another whitetail and will learn from this. i appreciate all the input.

11. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

You could rehydrate the seam and try to restitch it. May be more trouble than what its worth at this point. But if its driving you nuts, wet some towelsand lay them on the seam, then wrap the neck with plastic, Saran wrap would work well in your case. Just leave it overnight and see what you can do with it in the morning.

12. cq.117

cq.117 New Member

ok i think i'll let it go for now but if it becomes noticeable i will then try the rehydrating and stich it over again. as of now it bothers me just because i know about it but until its a real problem, i'll leave it be. thanks for the tip and i'm sure i will use it down the road if it happens again and i catch it prior to drying solid. I really appreciate all the help.
    chris

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Maybe you made to many loops before pulling the string tight? Try just 4 or 5 stitches, tug it tight, keeping the string tight all the way through the job. I find looping 8 to 10 stitches, then pulling the string tight doesn't pull the first few stitches tight. Is this a possibility of what might have happened?

14. just rehydrate and put some 2 1/2 in pins in the gaps . Oh i can hear it now but if all you have is small gaps the nails will hold the seam . AFTER you did that take some of the plastic needle stiching suff you get from wally world and cut a 3 in strip . T pin the plastic over the seam and let dry . works wonders . it dose 2 things keeps your seam tight and ,makes it flat try it you might like it mark c

15. cq.117

cq.117 New Member

yes that could be what happend. i did try keeping everything snuged tight as i went but i did notice after doing a few inches of stitches and then snuging it up and continuing, they would work loose again as i was stitching more. i will be sure to keep everything as tight as i can on the one i'm working on now. I will also try thinning the cape even more along the seam. then card and pin the y seam as well this time when i'm finnished. Thank you for all your help.

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

I think this was your problem.. I loop 5-6 stitches and then pull them tight. Also, depending on what line you use, if it's waxed, it will not let you pull that many tight.

17. Pull them tight every 4~5 stitches, or if you stop thinking and get a run on, get a stainless steel bike spoke and bend an 1/8" hook on the end, use 2 of these to pull up the stitches tight, starting forward and working your way back, by the way put a big hook on the other end so you can hang onto it .

18. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

pleas help with Seam or stitching stretch

The question to be asked is do you thin the hide enough around the seam. The hide can be pretty thick there , the thicker the hide the more to shrink, I know when I was just starting I just got a sharper needle to push through. I had the same trouble. Learning to thin a hide will help with most shrinkage problems.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Don't thin it too much along the edge or stitches will pull out. Put a lock stitch every 4 or 5 easy to do. Just put the needle through the last loop before you pull it tight.

20. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I agree with CannonQ. I had the same problem early on. 3bears is right though, don't go overboard at the edges, but don't just thin the edges. The thinner you get the entire cape the less you will have to worry about shrinkage.