1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

186" tn deer what y'all think

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bbt17, Mar 9, 2013.

1. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think?

2. Are you asking for a critique? If so, It looks really bug eyed, and the ears seem a bit low. Need better pictures. Nice Buck though.

3. I agree.

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

You already posted this once so you must be looking for a critique now.

Skin alignment at white patch is off. High on deers right side but entire patch seems a bit high and tight. Probably a hair big on the form in that area of the neck. Lower neck and chest seem to be good.
    Rakc set is to far back from the eye socket and is tipped to far back. This is causing your forhead skin to be pulled back giving a slight appearence he is getting a face lift. That dark hair shouldlay over the top of the brow not be pulled towards the center of forhead and back towards he rack. The rack set is what is causeing your skin alignment issues on the head. You can really see it was an issue on the deers right eye as is also cause the from part of the eye to pull and lose deffinition in th front corner and most likely drummed bad. Also the tear ducts aren't tucked deep enough. Probably due to skin being tight as I said.

Now for the 2 parts that need the most help.
    The ears are way to low, in the incorrect position, and lack much ear butt definition, size and correct shape.

Hard to tell all whats going on with the nose but it looks like a bumble bee got him. Looks like the beggining of the issue is the upper lip is tucked to deep pulling all the nose skin down. Also did you put a pile of clay under the nose or maybe use a "dandy noser" for finish work? Not sure but it is overly blump and lacks any deffinition and shape. Also bottom lip seems to be shifted towards the deers right. Can see a black band on deers left but not really on right.

Did a good job grooming and the deers left eye seems to be pretty good. If you cover up everything on the screen except that eye you can see it fits pretty good and is pretty good shape. Then look at it with just the eye and forhead skin above that eye showing and imagine it with that skin pulled down slightly more towards the eye to sit over the brow more.

Study alot of reference compairing it to this one and then use that reference on your next deer too. Dandy of a buck.

5. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

Thanks that is really good critique and I respect it its a process I feel I'm getting there but must be a bad pic effect on the ears they should be right especially on shape I used ear liners and ear butts. I thought antlers would be right because I took measurements from antler to eye before and after.

6. jorgy

jorgy Member

It isnt the picture, those ears are way too low

7. Even when you use earliners and earbutts you have to place the butts in the right place which 10/10 times is not where is may show them to be at on the form. Your butt should be ust slightly below the back of the mainback nearly touching

8. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

T3 hammered you pretty good, but it will help you in the long run.
    Once you get the anatomical stuff down they mount up easier. On some heads I still have challenges.
    You also have some room for improvment in your finishing/painting. Your colors seam to be cold & dark. Go back to your ref pics, or better yet go to a deer park & really focus on the colors & tones.

9. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

I will upload pics of ear butts compared to antlers they can not go up any higher without falling off the form its the shadows in the picture

10. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

[​IMG]

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Your antlers tilting back too far is making your ears too low. Why are the antlers so shiny?

12. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Yeah sry bout the long critique but there is alot going on here. However the root of all your problems is the rack set. Looking at your last pic now gives even more insight into it. The rack is set to far back and low and the skin is pulled to far from the eyes. See your hair pattern under the antler burr. Appears to be about 2/3s toward the back. This should come together in the center of the antler burr. The distance of the ear to antler as well as the blending of muscles to the head and under the bur look good. Its just the rack set and everything pushing your ear position down the neck to much and back.

13. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

Thank you T3 your critique will really help me in the future!!

14. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

This is still only my fifth deer and improvement is happening with each one.

15. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Thats what its about. Mount is clean just gotta work on the little things. Also once you get the basics down think about starting to sculpt in your own ear butts. Much more versitile and actually easier/faster, once you get it down, to get the correct and desired various ear positions compaired to cast butts. Keep it up.

16. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

That's what its all about. Come out swinging on the next one.

17. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I agree but i think it is a combination of the ears set to low and the antlers are set way to high.

18. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

T3 had a good point about the prefab earbutts. Don't assume that just because you bought earliners and butts to match that they will automatically be the right size and shape. Don't get me wrong, I use the earbutts sometimes, but usually end up adding some clay to either help in the definition or to add some size to them. They only come in three sizes; deer come in all shapes and sizes. They will get you close, but sometimes not where it should be. Rick Carter had a good article with great pics of earbutt detail in one of the older issues of one of the taxi mags. Sorry, don't remember which one, and I do have the article saved somewhere, but can't find it right now. Shows all of the muscle structure of the earbutt. Really helped me when I started sculpting my own for competition. Maybe someone has it saved and can post it? Anyway, good luck!