1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

You just never know who you will run into at the airport......

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Mar 11, 2013.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Well, did something I never thought I'd do tonight when I touched down at the airport.

Let me start from the beginning, I am adopted. My biological father left my mother when she was pregnant with me and let's just say when I was younger, well, it was rough. The man I consider my father got me when I was seven and raised me as if I was his own seed. I think I am the way with people because of my adopted father, he took somebody in and showed love without predjiduce.

I also have 2 brothers who were raised with my father and we were never close. I also have a half sister just a few months difference in age from me (same father) and we communicate, but don't see each other. My oldest brother, although we don't see each other, we stay in communication. My middle brother, we do not talk.

Well meetings between my biological father and I have not always been the best. Lots of bitterness as a kid growing up and not even getting a birthday card, you know that kinda crap. And then as adults we met face to face maybe 2-3 times, but both being [expletive deleted]s and alcoholics, those meetings never went well :)

I've had his number for years and never dialed it. I'm always flying into Austin, but tonight it was Houston and had heard he worked at the airport there. I got off the plane, went to the bathroom and having not even thought about calling him something in my mind said 'call him'. So I did.

Turns out he was working, sounded very excited and in 10 minutes down in baggage, well, there he was. He was very excited to tell any other officer that passed by 'hey, come meet my son!'.

You know, there were a lot of years and a lot of bitternes..... but Lord knows I of all people should know we don't always make the wisest choices in life, forgiveness and tomorrow is all we can look forward to sometimes.

He'll never be the father like the man who raised me and I think we both understand and respect that..... but a simple call tonight closed a future chapter of regret if something had happened to him or I. I never have to think 'why didn't you just make that call'. After all, if not for him, I would not be here (there's a positive to everything LOL)

So here's the end result of years of procastination. Glad I made it :)

[​IMG]

2. copper

copper Active Member

thats pretty cool,glad for you Michael

3. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

That's awesome Michael, I hope I can get up the courage one day to go and meet my biological parents. Congrats to you man!

4. double barrel

double barrel New Member

You really look happy in that pic. Good call !

5. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

Happy for ya Michael like you said you will always be happy you made that call

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

;D so happy for you!!!

7. Great to hear. Keep in touch with him. We all make mistakes. Just don't make another one. And learn to forgive

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. Mike,
    Good choice you made. You never know when your day to go will come, seems like the older I get the more friends I lose each and every year. Regret is a real tough thing to deal with, so I know as I get older I get a little easier in my decisions and sometimes after looking at things and keeping an open mind I end up saying "what the hell was I thinking this whole time". Another life lesson, another day passed.
    Once again Mike, great decision and I'm sure your Pop is smiling now also

9. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Dan's the Man.

However, Glad you made the call.

You know it's not fair to the rest of us playing the game "Where's MichaelP" when you pull stuff like this. LOL

The EYES. No mistaking your his kid.

10. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I am happy for you Mike.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You're a winner Michael.

12. Gunny

Gunny Old Timer

Nice!

13. dougp

dougp Active Member

You're quite a guy Michael. Good for you and your father. I hope I get to meet you someday.

DougP

14. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

FORWARD...never look back.

15. You will never regret that phone call and both of you look proud and happy. I hope you have plenty more visits with our father.

16. you never stop amazing me happy for you. all by the way when my wife and i were sitting at the bar over the week end and i asked her what she wanted she said a tall texain just downed on me what she meant.i'll be keeping a eye on her next year ha ha . was good to see you again. glad you got home safe

17. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

18. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Michael, that's such a great reminder. When we properly see ourselves, it's much easier to be forgiving! That is universal- we've ALL done things that we need forgiveness for, so how can we rightly withhold it from others? ( Insert dozens of Bible verses ) Good for you!

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Thanks guys (and gals). Even mom was happy about it this morning. You know, if I had had kids 20 years ago, I would have been a loving father, but probably not a good father. You never know the circumstances and everything happens for a reason. When he left, he had just got back from Vietnam, who knows what was in his head? Why didn't he send cards? Who knows, guilt, didn't care, too drunk to remember, maybe his new wife at the time wouldn't let him..... like I said, who knows.... but really, who cares. I got a chance to be raised by Dan, had a great mom and dad growing up and am where I am because of their love. That's one thing I have truly learned, everything does happen in this world for a reason. With that knowledge, it makes life a little easier :)

20. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Amen brother. Whatever happens in life, happens for a reason. My sentiments exactly. If you don't take that approach, it could make us all bitter sob's.

I too am adopted. My birth name was Hancock. Cecil Thacker adopted me and raised me like I was his own. He has been good to me and my mother now for over 50 years. I think he has earned the title of "DAD". Dan too.

It is however nice to go back and touch your roots every now and then too.