1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what is best adhesive for attaching foam forms together

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Ed, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Turkey Neck Taxidermy

Turkey Neck Taxidermy No Deer Is To Small To Mount!!!

Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I know George, I also know of your dislike of Bondo being used as an adhesive, which it was not intended for, but most of what we use was not intended for what we use it for. I would not use it alone without some form of re-inforcement but it seems I won't trust any of the true adhesives including foam, alone for re-assembling forms.

3. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog Stay Classy

I think we all learned a valuable lesson in this thread, if you use bondo to put a manikin together be careful not to wreck it or it will look like maple leaves in the fall.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Ron, what color is the sky in your world? What did that reply mean? It made me laugh anyway.

5. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

While I understand there are many ways to skin this cat, it's laughable that to read this thread, some of you would consider one a buffoon to follow the MANUFACTURE'S DIRECTIONS! Simply put, if your form falls apart following this, YOU did something wrong, not the product. Most likely, worked too slow and it began setting before you assembled or you had some movement at the critical time when it first starts to kick.

[​IMG]

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Hey Jared, careful I resemble that, er, I mean resent that implication.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jared, I have two cases of Bondo in my shop. I opened both of them and looked at all 8 cans. Sadly I could read only half the instructions from the MANUFACTURER since the other half was written in Spanish. I presume the Spanish interpretation said the same thing as the English version. I know that NO WHERE in that English version was there ever a single mention about using it as an adhesive or holding forms back together. I can say the same thing about the boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax, bags of potter's clay, bags of papier mache, boxes of plaster of Paris, vermiculite, or even 555 glue. None of which changes the facts that Bondo isn't a glue and I certainly don't "hate" it (If I do, I sure wasted $200 in those cases I have out there.)

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I was referring to the posted instructions from McKenzie on assembling their forms. And I'm not saying there aren't other or even better ways of doing it. I'm saying bondo is a perfectly acceptable and effective way that will give the desired result if done properly.

9. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog Stay Classy

It's no different than any other sky, bright blue filled with marshmallow clouds and raining Skittles.

10. If I am putting together a cut, shipped form (bear, elk, moose, etc.) I use bondo, threaded rods and knock divots in the form. If I have to extend or elongate I use foam. It is just the way I am use to doing it.

11. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

The correct answer is to do whatever it takes to make it happen. Glue, bondo, foam, epoxy, screws, plywood inserts, etc. The one that worked the easiest and strongest for you is the right one.

12. George

Rick, you big puss. What a cop out. What do YOU think is the best and what do YOU use?

13. Rick Carter

Everything! It depends on how big, strong, or fast something has to be done.

14. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

2X Green, you got the evidence in writing and in pictures. A picture is worth a 1,000 words.

15. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Ed, for the Bobcats head I use Acrylic calking. Put the head inside the skin, then use your calking gun to reach up in to the head area and put a good amount of caulk. Then I cut some stiff wires about 8in long (cloth hangers) and sharpen the end. I then push them in so not to stick out of the form. I use the calking as hide past on mounts up to coyote size.

16. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I have to agree with Rick on this, not all situations require the same technique.

17. George

Jason, no one said a thing about "required" The question was, "What is BEST adhesive for attaching foam forms together". I suppose pine pitch would WORK but it's surely not the "best". Neither are any of the other possibilities. The BEST thing is obviously the material you sawed apart to put it back together. If you wanted two pieces of steel put back together, would you use epoxy? Or would you weld them? Would you use aluminum welding rods or would you use steel?

18. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

George "BEST" is a very relative term He never mentioned the situation or what he was putting together. There are 100 different ways to skin a cat and none of them are wrong it just depends on the situation.

19. Rick Carter

X2. On a squirrel I might just use Zap A Gap and Blast accelerator to attach a leg. On a medium sized animal I may use screws, in a wooden block, Bondo, Foam and epoxy. I use whatever it takes to pull off the engineering and not have to "fix it" a second time. Large animals & "air" mounts require some metal fabrication. The entire thing is structure and resilience.

20. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

Gorilla glue!!!