1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Forms with Preset Eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RichMO, Mar 11, 2013.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the forms by McKenzie and Reinhart with the preset eyes. Haven't tried one yet and haven't tried one of Reinhart's with the CAD nose. I'm just asking how many and what do you think about these two forms? I have a friend that uses the preset eyes and loves them but that is just one person's opinion. All his eyes are lay up and he uses Buckeye glue even for the eyes.

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

You can change expression of the pre-sets by sculpting with Critter clay or Apoxie sculp. There is nothing wrong with trying them. I've used the CAD forms but only on some pretty big faced deer. I think they fit a bulky or swelled head better than an early season deer.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    They have their place, just not in my shop. I use the form for a place to start and customise from there. For a novice I think they are able to mount up a decent animal but I strive for better than decent. I may not always achieve my goals but I only have myself to blame.

4. pre set eyes limits you I've tried them and there not for me

5. 24/7

24/7 New Member

I order most of my forms from the same company and i think all of their forms have pre set eye orbits. I like the forms over all but make some small adjustments to suit my personal taste such as eye settings, nose shape,etc. I never looked at pre set eyes as a limitation or spacific way it has to be done. Just as a starting point!

6. fishhead64

fishhead64 Mount it right!

I'm not much for preset anything it is starting to get like legos just snap together and done.We use to joke about how taxidermy was not like a machine you can't put a skin in one end and the finnished piece comes out the other.But it is starting to get that way.Even with this preset premade stuff it still needs to look good and i've seen some of this stuff that does NOT.Beginners do not learn with this stuff.Clay, paste ,foam,and some good reference lets get it done!