1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

last whitetail I'll bother you with

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by KatieC, Mar 11, 2013.

1. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Hello all, I just finished mounting my sixth whitetail and am looking for feedback. Yes, I did set up some one-on-one deer training for later this spring, so hopefully I won't have to keep bothering you guys with critiques! I'm looking forward to checking out the state show coming up soon too.

The eyes are still a little off on here, but I had to bag it up for the day and will come back to it tomorrow. After a while I stare at these for so long that I don't know what I'm looking at anymore, and need to come back to them with fresh eyes. I think I may have the antlers tilted a bit too far back; it was pretty cramped between the antlers and ears. I try to get that antler angle lined up with the angle of the bridge of the nose though, and the main measurement I go by is from the back of the eye to the antler burr. The hair at the corners of the mouth looks a bit rough.

Anything I'm missing? The weird line through the neck is the edge of the damp hair from bagging the head overnight.

First time trying an OTS form - loved it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. Moving my work space out of the dark basement soon!

2. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

looks pretty Good buddy..just need to raise left ear up and babysit till everything dry's..keep your references by..keep up the good work. ;)

3. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

Looks good, maybe a slight brow adjustment, hair patterns make eyes look off. Brisket looks like it could be adjusted , arm pit hair in arm pit. Check reference photos. Also check nostril symmetry, could be angle of picture.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A little tweaking on the eyes to match your references and rework the bottom lip. Look at the profile, take a closer look at the dark stripe that runs down from the nostril. It should pretty much line up from top to bottom, sure there are exceptions but the jog you have is what I believe is causing the issues with the corners of the mouth. I would agree with the antlers being low and tipped a tad too much. Card those ears for a sharper edge. Oh and lift that right one up butt and all.

5. not bad

6. Looking at the 3rd picture, it looks to me you may have to much clay in the earbutts. This may be causing your ears to be to tight to.

7. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

It wont bother me if you keep showing more of your mounts. Looks like you are doing fine.

8. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

A little tweaking, some back-brushing, a splash of finish work & you've got yourself a nice mount!

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Is that customer work?

10. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Thanks guys, I've done some tweaking. It's not perfect but is a bit better. CannonQ, I'm not quite sure what's wrong with the brisket. Can you explain or share a photo? The customer actually cut the legs off on this deer, so I didn't have a lot to work with down there.

The ear butts on this are the plastic ones.

Low T, it is customer work, is that a bad thing? The customer is aware that I'm just starting out.

11. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

Just looks like the armpit hair is a bit too far out on the shoulder. Could just be the photo. You can use compressed air to blow open the brisket to help align the hair pattern if it is off , sometimes it helps you find wrinkles that may be missed. Load the form with the skin.
    Does look nice.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't load the form with brisket skin, I cut a relief cut in the form in both pits to have a location to put any extra skin to get the hair line on the crest of the legs.