1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

form altering

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by CountryLife Taxidermy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ok fellas i need alittle advice...what is everyone useing when adding to a deer head form to give it more size a defination ... i got one in today i did not like but still want to use but it lacks muscle tone

2. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Im no pro but here's my 2 cent's..if you just want definition..sand or carve away deeper within the mucle lines or just before mounting add clay to existing and it will build it up..otherwise u might have wanted to go to another size if you have the room with cape. Goodluck

3. Build up with Aves Clayshay

4. It's easier for me to keep proper shape by cutting / sanding then by building up

5. ok thanks guys !!! i been using critter clay to build up muscle tone and as such but this form im gonna have to use needs alot of work. how much is too much clay build up and will it move or shift as it drys..digging deeper like i have done before and works very well but is not an option on this form.... thanks

6. Plaster Paris and Vermiculite......or plaster paris and paper pulp. Mix to a thick mud consistency and and apply to the form. It is sandable and will help add body........plus be more cost effective.

7. oh i like that!!! i have a huge tub of paper pulp from vandykes i use for filling in around the antlers to the form

8. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Just a question that's been asked before. Why not use forms with the muscle tone close to what you like? Then the changes will be minor and that saves time and that puts more money in your pocket . . Right.

9. i wont disagree with that but when i ordered this form i thought it had what the costumer wanted but when it came in i did not like it. lesson learned so to say

10. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Hey not throwing rocks brother. :D I've been there but now I'll return them in a heartbeat if they are not what I wanted. Most customers will never know a OATs semi-sneak from a Revolution. So i make it easy on myself . . . cause nobody else will. Have a great day good topic. :)

11. agreed with that !!! its up to us on how hard things are for our selves