1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blue Bill or lesser Scaup

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fireduck, Mar 13, 2013.

1. fireduck

fireduck Member

I live in Indiana I normally don't get these birds in the shop
    so little confused on the what artificial head to buy.
    Is it called a blue bill or scaup. everyone around calls it a blue bill but nothing listed in Research Mannikin's

2. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Yes, A bluebill is a scaup.........But is it a lesser or greater scaup ?

3. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

From what I've seen a blue bill refers to anything with a blue bill like scaup widgeon ext... ie its a general term.you order supplies for a scaup, lesser or greater...ie specific term. If your not sure which it is you can go to ducks unlimited and look at the duck id, they have an app also that's only a Buck or two for the id part. Good luck.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

Attached Files:

5. fireduck

fireduck Member

Thank you guys, I feel like I know my duck but the whole two named through me off when trying to order. Thanks again.

6. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

I know the feeling, down here a lesser scaup is a black Jack, shoveler is a spoony, and so much more...hell none of my in laws knew what a gadwall was ...they thought they were just mallard hens!!! ::)

7. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Black Jacks are ring necked ducks.....but they do have blue on their bill too. Black heads are what many call bluebills. ;) I fyou are going to do much waterfowl taxidermy , you better become familar with hunter slang for those "what do you have" questions over the phone. ;D

8. I hear ring-necked and ring-billed used interchangeably a lot. Or oldsqaw vs. long-tailed duck. Different regions use different vocabulary. Maybe if people could actually pronounce the scientific names there wouldn't be as much confusion.

9. Depending on which duck you have, I would definitely buy the right sized head for the particular bird. It seems like greater have larger heads and broader bills. The best way to tell what you have is by the wing. Here is a wing of each. The primary feathers of the greater will have white on the primaries as you open them. The heads are typically green or blue, but the head's color can change depending on the angle of the sunlight, so you can't always go by that alone. A blackjack is a ringer, a ringer is a ring bill, and a ring bill is a ring-necked duck, and it is not part of the scaup family. lol

Attached Files:

10. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

You have been doing ducks for a long time in Indiana, this is your first Scaup?

11. We call that a dogris in Louisiana

12. fireduck

fireduck Member

I agree with the slang lingo, Northern Shovelers called Hollywood mallard or Spoons-- Ring Neck call ring bells, Gadwalls called gaddys, and Coots called trash birds

13. aweiss44

aweiss44 New Member

out here,
    scaup= broadbill
    all of the scoters = coot
    what the rest of the world knows as coot= mudhens
    red breasted mergansers= shell peckers or just peckers
    cormorants= shag
    osprey=fish hawk

14. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

It amazes me how many different things a single duck is called. Wow! Even in one state there are multiple names in various regions!!! I would've thought hunters would know their birds just to ensure they are legal to shoot! Obviously not!!! Lol ???