1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

issues turning coyote ears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mcking, Mar 13, 2013.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Hello. I have 2 coyotes i been fleshing and turning in preperation for salting, and shipping to the tannery. these 2 coyotes im prepping, ive had issues with turning the ears.im able to turn the majority of the ear, then near the tip it busts out. and so i tried to finish the tips with a scalpel but i cut thru,,,, disasters. these are for garment tans only, they will not be mounted. bUT ,my question is, is it ok for me to leave the tips unturned for salting and tanning? the tips of the ears are very thin, it seems salt and the tanning process will penetrate just fine...... any advice here???? also why have i never had this issue on my past coyotes? is it maybe because i sprayed the ears heavily with stop rot before freezing and their just to wet causing them to tear? it seems as i keep continue trying to turn the tips i just keep butchering more,, can i just turn the ear as best as i can, and go ahead and continue with salting and shipping? Thanks

2. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

On wallhangers, I just turn until I'm past all of the red meat. On any other ear, just turn until your at about 90%, and finish turning after tanning.

3. if you can get to within a 1/4 inch of the edges/ tip you can stop. 1/8 inch would be better. sometimes ears just seem to explode and rip and tear no matter what you do. you might have a dozen in a row that are almost effortless and then it all goes to crap on you. for the very tips i use the handle end of a small paint brush. with one hand i gently push the ear over the handle. the other hand moves the handle back n forth along the edge. not too much back n forth so you dont rub the hair off. i do this final turning on the last 1/8 n 1/4 after tanning.

4. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Use a dull old scalpel and push slowly and softly take your time. Definately turn the lips. You want them flat.If you feel a curve or meaty area cut it until it rolls out flat.Again take your time and once you are beginning to mess up walk away and take a break.Also wear gloves.I have to ask did you happen to buy these from a trapper that you are having these issues?

5. mcking

mcking Member

i appreciate the info very much guys. i got them turned as much as i couuld. got them salted. no, these werent trapped.

6. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Turn them all the way to avoid slipping

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

7. Go to Harbor Freight and buy you a magnifying headset with lights on the side- like jewelers wear. This will make lots of difference in what you are seeing. Also oldterryr has a great tutorial in the tutorial section.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Try turning them this way, No holes no more blow out.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,329950.0.html

9. Just for the heck of it . I was turnnig an ear the other dau Deer and i had a heck of a time , I pushed the ear back in went to the sink and put water in to the ear . Then i squeezed the ear from the base to force the water into the tip and the tip split from the water pressure , some time it worked and sometimes it just helped by getting them wet , mark c

10. I use a scalpel size 11 blade, I turn the ear out until there is about an 1/8 inch left. I then turn them the rest of the way when i get them back from the tannery