1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blacktail just finished

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dablaw, Mar 13, 2013.

1. dablaw

dablaw Member

I posted one over in the Game head of the week but thought I'd post a few more here..Blacktails are certainly different from whitetails..This was forst BT I had ever done..He turned out ok I feel.

Attached Files:

• BT1.JPG
      BT1.JPG
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
    • BT10.JPG
      BT10.JPG
      File size:
      64.1 KB
      Views:
  2. dablaw

dablaw Member

Few more closeups..new Joe Meder eyes, Lancaster BT form from Research

Attached Files:

3. silverbuck

silverbuck New Member

Very nice job !!

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Nice clean mount. Couple things to watch for next time are the inner nose skin. Yours is pulled up and back behind the nose pad. The texturing of the nose pad is too lumpy towards the top of the pad. Try to match the pattern of the nose skin, then apply a couple wash coats of modge podge over the top. Try to avoid the sharp ridge on the lower eye lid. Ear butts lack definition and shape. Paint looks heavy. Antlers appear tilted too far back. Without a front view, tough to say much about the eye set. Smoker buck!

5. like it

6. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Real nice work

7. dablaw

dablaw Member

Front pic

Attached Files:

• BT7.JPG
      BT7.JPG
      File size:
      71.3 KB
      Views:
    • BT13.JPG
      BT13.JPG
      File size:
      93.9 KB
      Views:
  8. dablaw

dablaw Member

side shots

Attached Files:

• BT5.JPG
      BT5.JPG
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
    • BT9.JPG
      BT9.JPG
      File size:
      69.9 KB
      Views:
  9. fishhead64

fishhead64 Mount it right!

Good job very clean.

10. dablaw

dablaw Member

Hope tho pics show whats going on with the shadows...Makes lots or dark areas darker and so on..Really not as much paint as it appears...same with the nose..Granted it's not as good as a Yox nose, but it's not near as bumpy as it appears, and 2 washes of MP over it..Antler set is right on..If I would have set the skull cap at the position needed to make the beams appear correct, it would have been a 70-75 degree angle in the front...So I went back and set it according to the markers I always use and what just looked right..and this is where it is...It also appears to be at an angle from left to right but it isn't it's dead on...Stand was not dead level out in the yard either and windy as hell...It is what it is and appreciate all the comments to help me do better on the next one...You learn alot more from shortcomings than you do from successes..Thanks again, David.

11. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Looks pretty nice.... Defintely get those white hairs along the nostril tucked inside next time. as for the bumps on the nose... there shouldnt be that much gap between the bumps..it kinda gives it a ostrich skin look... they arent as pronounced as a whitetail, more smoother, but they are close together just like any other deer..
    Nice clean mount :)

12. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

The problem with the white nose hairs they are talking about is because you have the nosepad pulled down too far forward ,which is causing the back inside of the nose skin to pull out and up on top. You tucked the upper lip just under the nosepad to deep. The tips of your ears are almost pointing forward, they should flip back just slightly at the tips. Earbutts as mentioned and your ears opened a little too much at the v- notch.

13. dablaw

dablaw Member

Thanks again for all the helpful comments..It will just help me to do better and better...This one was all the way around a challenge...The rack was taken back in 1950's I believe and I got it from a fellow taxi in Washington state..The cape I got from another taxi on here...I was trying in my mind to imagine what size cape would a BT have that would match this rack..After talking to a number of BT hunters and taxi's from Pacific northwest we came up with a size of around 22 inches or so for the neck..I got the form from Research after I got the cape so I would get something close to start with...Had to do a little shaving here and there.... So ideally nothing was perfect but I tried to make it look like something respectable...Thanks again for all the input...David.