1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning bears and boars?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mooser, May 19, 2007.

1. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Hudson, I don't want to gang up on you. George and I don't agree everytime, but he is speaking the truth, on this matter. I am confident of one thing. Weather I agree with him or not, I truly believe , he believes what he is typing, or he wouldn't type it.
    I have a accordion file folder beside machine , that I list hundreds of skins in, according to punch number, that Taxidermists have screwed up, with a fleshing machine. I have over 100 sheets, that hold 30 items each(skins), and guess which ones I list the most? Bears, that a Taxidermist has over fleshed, with a shaving machine, that has as much hair on the skin side, as the fur side. I go to the trouble of listing these skins, to cover my rear from the Boss, and to keep shavers from having to pay for replacements. As a Taxidermist, you'll never be as good with a round knife, as my least experienced shaver. You could do your own tanning for 30 years, and not do what these guys do in a year, and not even come close to learning the different shaving requirements of different animals. By the way, boars are probably #4. GEORGES ADVICE IS ABSOLUTLY SAFE, and should be adhered to. I'm not saying it cant be done, but how many skins and lost clients will it cost? One is too many, for a fledgling Taxidermist. How many of the new guys and gals can afford to replace a bear, if they screw the pooch? Not many.

2. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Thats just it dip-stick, you cant share it verbablly. Its a hands on thing. You need to get laid or something dude? I have never seen you act like such an ass!

3. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

oldshaver I do agree with you a bear is 1 of the more pain in the ass to tan , but I've been doing taxidermy for over 34 years and I've had some of MY OWN skin tanned by a commercial tanneries , and i was not that happy, so I started tanning myself, and i learned how to tan.I never loose a skin I do agree with you 99 % but it does not mean that a taxidermist can't do it themselves.I get many calls about tanning and i do help , i can tell from what a taxidermist is telling me , if they have even a ball park idea of what they are doing. And they get good results. I do not trust any tannery with someone else's skins , maybe ,just maybe you have a good crue working for you , I do not know, I do not knock Hudson for his replies. This place is for learning OK I get many calls from taxidermist taking and paying good Money for taxidermy leessons, and i will say this , BAD TEACHERS so if a person is willing to learn I will teach them , no one would help when I was a kid , so I do not mind helping the kids now.

Lets not get a pissing match going , you and George are intitel ed to your opinion , and so is everyone else.
    And I do incurage taxidermist to do their own tanning.
    But try your own before you do the clients.
    And it is not rocket science.
    I've seen so many tanneries screw up lion skins , the main falls out , stretch the wrong way , over shaved , undershaved , so on , and so on.

So not all tanneries or good , and not all taxidermist or stupid.

4. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

what , your not explaining your self Mike , a skin on the wall for 1 year , then it falls apart , , raw , tanned , what ?