1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo for earliners..?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used a thin mixture of bondo/resin for there earliner adhesive?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Before you try it, do this first. Lay your earliner on the workbench. Mix up your Bondo/resin mix and pour it on to your earliner and let it harden. Let it cure for an extra hour. Then puck up the liner and bend it slightly and tell me how well your concoction "adheres" to that earliner.

3. Is bondo an adhesive.

4. I have used this mix and had it stick like a turd to a blanket, maybe your american "bondo" is a bit different to the " bog" we have in australia, just my thoughts.

5. Yes

No

6. I used bondo with an ear liner and the cartilage still left in on this deer. Works great for me.

Attached Files:

7. George

Oh well. Give them books, send them to school, and they still want to eat the teacher.

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I used bondo and resin with the old celastic earliners for years it works very well

9. lmao.........are you intentionally trying to push george's buttons??

10. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

Maybe

11. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I do NOT use an earliner... I leave the cartlidge in...... Scored a 94 on my deer using BONDO ears :)

I know IM not alone when I see BONDO and instantly think of George cringing and grinding his teeth... Ha Ha ha

12. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Its seems common around these parts, i know allot of taxidermist that use bondo with a liner, ive seen blue ribbons in the masters this way, i use epoxy. Whatever floats your boat, if your scoring good in comps,customer is satisfied and your satisfied, then i guess its proven to be satisfactory results.

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

13. George

"Common" makes about as much sense as windshield wipers on a cat's ass. WHY WOULD YOU USE A LINER AND BONDO? And please, don't insult what little intelligence I have by trying to convince me that the ear doesn't look like a Double Stuff Oreo. It also tells me the quality of some of the "judges" out there.

14. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,64649.0.html

15. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I misread.... I was thinking CARTLIDGE left in.. not using an earliner AND bondo....

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I once read an article in Taxidermy Today were they bondoed the ears, then peeled the ears off the cured bondo, sanded the bondo, then removed the cartalage from the ear and used the bondo as the earliner. Thus, in essence, he made a custom bondo earliner that he glued into the ear. Did you notice that they " peeled the ears off of the cured bondo"? What does that tell you? No release agent was used either. It just peeled off.

17. Sorry boy's, Im with George on this one.

18. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Had this discussion with Joe Meder earlier this year... He uses bondo and teaches the method. He will use an earliner with glue not bondo. One of his award winning deer mounts has bondo ears and no cartilage. For me I use earliners with glue and the cartilage removed. Everyone has their own method and (god forgive me) I agree with George on this one...LOL

19. George

Careful there Tanglewood. Someone will accuse you of being a rocket scientist. LOL