1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial Dirt

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by luciengwin4, Mar 16, 2013.

1. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    Could someone please tell me where i can get some good dark artificial dirt or maybe a recipe for it. I have some WASCO instant base mix but to me after it dries it just looks like cat puke. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. I buy bags of black dirt from lowes then sift and dry. It dries pretty dark but you have to sift it to get it clean

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

You can also use USED coffee grounds... bake them in the oven til nice and dry.... Works really nice..
    I also use peat moss... dried of course...

4. You can simply use real dirt, shocker I know...Clean fill dirt dried with some sand added. Cut it with a 50/50 mix of elmers glue and water. Add tempra colors and instant artificial dirt.

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

True but baking actual dirt to kill bugs and such and dry it out makes the house REEK bad... the coffee smells good :)

6. I throw the dirt in the microwave in the shop if it gets too smelly I just take a break and come back later

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    Thanks for the help guys i'm looking forward to trying it out

8. fireduck

fireduck Member

I used real dirt with 50/50 mix of glue and dirtm however I had some plexi glass over it and it didnt dry quick enough and had some mold on it.. I guess I shouldnt do that, maybe add a fan to to it. What do you all think

9. It does need to be dried first, baked for about 20 min at 300, will dry it out and kill bugs. And no I'm not joking when I say I put cinamon on it so it doesn't stink. Using sand and vermiculite will help keep the mix dry. After colored and mixed with glue and water you can sprinkle a small amount of dry mix on top while it sets up. End result looks great and cost effective. Hope this helps. Mark

10. greslyel

greslyel Member

I just finished part of a habitat scene I am made after reading this thread. I used coffee grounds and a 50/50 mix of water and Elmer's white glue. It doesn't look bad in my opinion, at least while its wet. I'll post another picture of it after it is dry and the other components are added. This is just one of many ways I read about. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

11. Foam and throw dry dirt and forest litter on as it kicks. Press to shape as the foam kicks and use gloves. Base done when the foam is set.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Coffee Grounds X2!

13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I mix some plaster of Paris, cellulose insulation and powdered stucco color or cement stain. Sets up quick and has a good texture. The cellulose is cheap and a 25 pound bag of plaster of Paris isn't bad either. You can add sand if you want. The best part to me is the quick drying time.