1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Telescoping square stock?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DPG1876, Mar 17, 2013.

  1. Does anyone have information on where to find telescoping square stock, from 3/8" and up? I see Reasearch carries the detachable antler kits but I'm looking for longer pieces.
  2. bigt46

    bigt46 Member

    Lowes or Ace hardware will do the trick.

  3. George

    George The older I get, the better I was.

    You're out of luck there without special production. Square stock is sold by OD measurements. So is square tubing. That means the the ID of square tubing is not a concern to the manufacture and it may be off by thousandths of an inch. Even if the square stock fits into the square tubing, it may or my not slide freely throughout. Square tubing into square tubing creates the same scenario. Most times, you're going to end up with a few thousandths' of an inch "slack" between those that you do get to fit
  4. Keith

    Keith Well-Known Member

    You can use it. But do test fits between each piece before you buy. Some will fit better than others.
  5. Matt

    Matt Active Member

    I know we don't have anything at our Lowe's or hardware stores that have worked for me. It would be best to find a good metal shop and have some custom made. I have mine custom made to the pedistal I am working with.
  6. joeym

    joeym Old Murphey

    14 gauge 1" tubing will accept 3/4 square bar stock
  7. BO-N-ARO

    BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

    George is correct about tubing from Lowes or Home Depot. To make it work I add metal strips on two side, one corner, to make up the distance. I use flat head sheet metal screws to attach the strips.
  8. fishhead64

    fishhead64 Mount it right!

    Matt said it best. But if you need to get it at your hardware store and there is a little play just take a cold chisel or center punch and adjust the sides of the female part.The outer piece.
  9. Riverland

    Riverland New Member

    Most steel supply places have a pile of cut-offs. If they allow you to pick through it you cam see what goes together and you don't have to buy the whole length. The only thing you need tight fits it detachable horns. Anything big you want some slop or it won't go together or come apart if it is very large.
  10. R. Follis

    R. Follis New Member

    George is correct, square stock is measured in OD. I get my stock at Lowes or Home Depot ( sorry for the bad pic's below) If I am using for example 1/2" square stock I will also get some 1/2" and 5/8" aluminium trim chan that is measured in ID made buy Steel Works out of Cincinnati OH. I will put the 1/2" trim chan inside of the 5/8" trim chan then set my square stock in between the two and gently push the two pieces of trim chan together till I get a snug fit. This will hold great with no play.

    Attached Files:

    • st.jpg
      File size:
      23.7 KB
    • st1.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
  11. R. Follis

    R. Follis New Member

    One more pic after it's installed into the pedestal.

    Attached Files:

    • st2.jpg
      File size:
      39.2 KB
  12. davehyer

    davehyer Active Member

    mcmastercarr.com they have anything you can ask for,
  13. cwag

    cwag Member

    I found some 3/8 at home depot the other day in 36" lenghts, it fit as tight as any I've ever seen. That was the biggest they had although they may have been out of the larger size's I don't know
  14. BRTX

    BRTX New Member

    What you really need is called telspar tubing. Regular square tube has the seam in the center of one of the flat sides, and rounded inside corners. This does not accept square stock well. Telspar tube has the weld seam in the corner and square inside corners. It is available at most quality metal shops.

    Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  15. Boxie

    Boxie New Member

    I buy 1/2 inch square stock and couple pieces of 3/4 inch angle iron. Wrap several wraps of electrical tape in three or four places on the square stock for the needed clearance. Then take two pieces of the angle iron same length and clamp them lightly to the square stock. Weld the two angle irons while on the square stock. After cooled slide out the square stock and remove the tape and one should have the desired fit. ...yes, I know you must know how to weld or you could go out and buy the pieces and run by a welder and have them welded.