1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Duck Critique

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DavidP., Mar 17, 2013.

1. DavidP.

DavidP. New Member

This is my first attempt at taxidermy. This is a Ruddy duck hen. I haven't painted the feet or glossed the bill yet. I would appreciate any constructive criticism any of you could offer.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. danielemt

danielemt New Member

Just learning birds myself but what I see is looks like your head/neck junction and neck/body need work. They don't flow smoothly. And you balance is off. Your legs appear to far back. I was just at the PA show and learned its much easier to remove the legs from the skin then you can injected them then freeze them until ready. 4-5 days
    Clean then good then paint! Much easier to paint without the feathers on them. Then you can place the legs on the body without the head or tail on the bird and place it in the postion you want and it's much easier to balance the bird by just looking at the body. Works great. I just did a ring neck like that and so easy to balance!! But keep working on it. Bird are a lot fun!!!

3. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

I'm afraid I don't have any criticism but I'm surprised at how good it looks for your first bird. While there is certainly room for improvement, many of the subtle details in the posture *are* clearly incorporated here.

4. DavidP.

DavidP. New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I had a little trouble with the neck and also the wing pocket. I couldn't seem to find out how to get the hole wing tucked in. I have a book that shows how to remove the legs, I might try that next time. Thanks again

5. SVincent84

SVincent84 New Member

What did u use for neck material? Looks like uve got a lump in the middle of the neck...
    Just a word of advice also, if u want good helpful critiques from the pros take ur bird outside and take pics, close ups of eyes, head, legs, all that good stuff, backs, butts... keep good reference all around u and you'll catch a lot of mistakes before u even make them. Sounds extreme but Ive got at least 15-20 photos of all angles and body parts posted around me when I start mounting, Ive surprised myself with how many mistakes I Almost made.
    Good luck and have fun.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire