1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #9 2013

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by igor, Mar 18, 2013.

1. igor

igor Member

Good morning everyone.

I would like to tell you a short story how I started my taxidermy career . After my first not quite successful experience with the great tit I decided to learn art of taxidermy. At that time in Soviet Union there were no available taxidermy classes, books or magazines... So, one day instead of going to school I went to a museum... opened one cabinet, grabbed one bird and put in it my back pack. I went to a closest city park and tear that mount apart to see what was inside ... Oh, I found some wire and a wrapped body... At least I learned something ;D Years later I was a head of the nature department of that museum and compensated what I took from there... ;)

We are starting a new week. I hope it will be the same successful as last one. I know that your freezers are still full ;) but please find some time to post here to show your work. This site is a great inspiration for all of us, beginners and experienced taxidermists.

Well, I have to post something to start. Like I said, I don't have many pictures of my finished work. Please forgive me if I post some pictures you have already seen before.

Have a great week!
    [​IMG]
    african salted crap ;)
    [​IMG]
    swift
    [​IMG]
    Elegant Tern
    [​IMG]
    Coot
    [​IMG]
    Baby Snowy Plowers

PS Paul, I just noticed your post . Sorry about that. Nice bird as usually!

2. bigworm

bigworm Member

Here is my birds of the week. I'm nowhere near the level of most of yall but here you go.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Hi Igor - hope you are warm in sunny Cal, it's snowing here right now.

Here is one purchased from Brian Stahl (wolfgang). Was able to meet Brian at the WTA show in Wausau WI a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

4. igor

igor Member

Very nice!

Feather, I wish I could give you blue ribbons on line . Simply beautiful. :eek:
    Bigworm, you are not that far as you think. Smooth ! Reference photos will help and they will be a great tool for all your taxidermy career. ;)
    Chris, what a great combination!

Keep them coming

5. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Ok bird brains, seems to be a waterfowl week.
    Igor, you can post whatever you want, you are always superb, I wonder where you get all the measurements of this salted exotic skins to do such fantastic mounts.
    Feather, this king and the bluebill are great, hope to get a king too before I die.
    Bigworm, good work on your ducks, go on.
    Walnut, extraoranary pose for a teal but I like it.
    After being back from my hunting trainig trip with my pointing dogs from Croatia, I will offer youi some birds from me.
    First a male garganey, second a male pintail (my first ever), that I have got from Shane Smith many years ago (have to paint the feet) and at last a female black grouse.
    Hope you like it, Rainer.

Attached Files:

6. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

the pintail

Attached Files:

7. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

and the black grouse

Attached Files:

8. igor

igor Member

Great work, Rainer. Love them.
    I use to mount Black cocks very often but now forgot how they look like. Are they suppose to be black ? ;D ;D ;D
    Thank you for posting.

9. Here is my entry for BOTW

[​IMG]

10. igor

igor Member

Wingman, your nickname is completely corresponding to a quality of your birds: they are so dynamic !!! Beautiful

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Here is a few I have done. The widgeon I had posted earlier asking for critiques and the scoter is still wet and not on its base yet.

Attached Files:

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

and a black duck

Attached Files:

13. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Fantastic work wingman61 and silverfox.
    Wingman you nailed it, this 2 ducks are coming in right now and
    silverfox, wonderful birds done in wonderful artistic style, thank you for sharing with us,
    Rainer.

14. lov2bhntn

lov2bhntn www.tailfeatherstaxidermy.com

I don't post that often, but here is one that I like.

[​IMG]

15. igor

igor Member

Silverfox, you made them beautiful, very smooth and great presentation. Your black duck is super cute.
    Lov2bhntn, that woodie is alert!!! Very convincing and awesome finish work. Please post more of you work. Very plesant for eyes.
    So far we have a great waterfowl gallery :) Keep them coming

16. nice work everyone...
    a small contribution from me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. babak

babak Active Member

nice mounts every one,great start of the week by Igor and the rest of friends! :) today is a special day for few countries like Iran,Tajikistan,Uzbekistan,Azerbaijan...our new year "according solar calendar,coincides with first day of spring season" will start in few hours,and most of people are in their vacation ,while every thing is getting expensive and life is getting harder and harder day by day! we try to be happy in our new year celebration though! ;D
    anyway,i love your mounts and as Igor said this topic is a real motivator and even educative and contains lots of new ideas! ;) keep coming every one!!

18. winston

winston Member

Its great seeing everyones work , looks good .I thought i would go with something dead

Attached Files:

19. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Nice job everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. bigworm

bigworm Member

Sure is some good looking work here good job everybody