1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning with EZ-100 Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andy M, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Andy M

Andy M Member

Hello there!

I have been getting my feed grade salt from Blue Seed Feeds for a few years and it has always been white. The last two bags I bought have been brown in color like sand. Salting with it with no problems.

However, I am using it with my EZ-100 tanning method. When I mixed my solution as directed for the per gallon of water mixture, it has turned a redish rusty color. Does that mean the salt has iodine in it? The deer cape has a slight redish look to it now. None of the hair is slipping, but wondering if this redish huge will bleed through after drying. Is this going to prevent the tanning agent from penetrating the hide? I was thinking as a safety measure to brush on some McKenze tan or is that not a good idea?

Anyone else have this problem before? I guess I'll have to find another source for my salt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

2. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby try American Stockman fine salt. Very consistant in quality, very economical and from my experience works well with ez-100 formula. Never had issues with my capes.

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I wouldnt use that Salt. It sounds like it's highly minerialzed. It may likely interefere with the EZ-100 later. If it's Iron causing the rust or reddish hue - then iin the Tanning solution it may even turn it purple to black in color. EZ-100 and most of the syntans react to Iron.

4. Andy M

Andy M Member

Thanks for the input.

I removed the deer cape after the 24 hr tanning time and followed the instructions about rinsing, draining, etc. However, the huge was more of a purple color. Just for my own info, I ran protions of the cape on the shaver and the purple huge came off on the first pass. Should I do this on the entire cape and retan? The cape does have that tanned smell to it, and I do not have any hair slipping. Am I safe or retan?

Thanks again!

Andy

5. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

You should be safe. In spite of the purplish color, it should still be tanned. You can remove the colored parts by shaving it off - but I'd mount it as is. It should only influence the skin - not the fur or hair color.

6. Andy M

Andy M Member

Thanks for the help Bruce! Greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Andy