1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wet look

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by CountryLife Taxidermy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. what are you guys doing/using to make a deer look wet like its been rained on. i have one of my own i gave a ruffed up hair look but i wanna add a wet look also.. helps and ideas would be very helpful.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Hair gel works pretty good.

3. AJH

AJH Member

There was a sweet WT mount at the PA show that was a buck "shaking off the rain". Not sure who's it was or what he used but it was awesome.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,335426.0.html

4. thats the look im after

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The Breakthrough manual on habitat has a good how to on just this subject. I've experimented with envirotex light and for droplets it works okay. I would definitely not pour it on because it did not give me the desired look. I let the envirotax set up some what and applied droplets with a tooth pick to the tips of the hair. I think following the article in the manual would be your best bet.

6. ok thanks

7. i figured the wet look out ill post pics when it drys
    ;D

8. waccem_inc

waccem_inc New Member

Do you have updated pics?

9. double shovel

double shovel SilverWillowTaxidermy

This one I used hair gel. But then after it had dried I mixed up a 50/50 mixture of gloss modge podge and water and sprayed it in hopes of giving it a bit of a shine or gloss and to help hold it more than the gel for the long run

[​IMG]

10. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Very nice indeed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

11. Very nice "Double Shovel" ! Is it difficult to keep clean. I would think it would be a dust magnet..........John

12. double shovel

double shovel SilverWillowTaxidermy

I think it would be too, but it was a customer mount so I haven't seen it since it left but he does live in an older house so I can see it being dusty.

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I've used the gel and found it got sticky, especially if I caked it on thick. Mouse on the other hand worked great for me and didn't get sticky. I liberally applied it in the hair, then teased the hair by hand until I had the look I wanted.

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

BTW Double, the hair on those looks pretty darn cool.

16. bwilks

bwilks New Member

I've done a few of these in the past. When the mount was dry and finished I would spray it down with water abd manipulate the hair to get it looking the way I want. Then mix water and Polytranspar fin cream 50/50 and spray it all down. It worked great and cheaper then mode podge.

17. Brent W

Brent W New Member

ok I love that wet look...I am worried about the ability to keep the mount clean and looking nice over time. Has anyone had one for several years? What do you do to keep it clean without messing up the wet look?

18. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Liquitex