1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by PsychoJr, Mar 20, 2013.

1. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

Absolute best advice yet to use Fireline fishing line for thread. Bought 4# test and it's WONDERFUL to use!

2. murph

murph Member

yep good stuff.!!!!

3. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Power Pro is every bit as good.....and cheaper.

4. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Ron,

Never heard of Power Pro, but will look for it. Fireline is getting pretty expensive. Does work great though!

5. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    I love it

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's much cheaper if you buy the 1000 yard spools from Bass Pro. The 4# is a bit too thin for my liking. I have 10 pound "clear" along with 14# and 30# "smoke" The good thing about the 1000 yard spool is that you can fill your reels AND do taxidermy.

7. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Where are using this line to sew?

8. I have some spider wire camo braid 20 lb laying around and am wondering if this would work or just stick with the fire line?

9. tem

tem Well-Known Member

spider wire will do the job. i use the camo color. 30 lb.

10. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

I use spider wire over fireline but I also get it at no charge (shhhh) have a friend who is a rep for them.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Spider wire is to limp for me, the fire line doesn't uncoil after pulling it tight, it has a memory once it is kinked tight, spider wire can't say that.

12. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

True, I have had some issues with it from time to time, but after using it for so long old habits are hard to break, just need to make sure it holds tight but sometimes I still fight it.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use spider wire, single strand, to sew the seam down necks of game heads or seams of life size critters as well as repair work on every thing from squirrels to elk to the few birds I've mounted and when I run out I'm going to try Fireline.

14. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

Just for the heck of it or are you not satisfied with it?

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Just for the heck of it. I hear so much about it and I'm always trying different things to constantly improve and I need to know if Fireline is better FOR ME.

16. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

After I tried Fireline I use nothing else. It cinches up wonderfully when you sew, I can sew an inch, sometimes more and pull steadily and it cinches it right up. You have to make sure your hide fits and your not trying to close a gap in the skin or it will tear through the skin, but that is with any thread your using.

17. sittinpretty

sittinpretty New Member

For u guys using fireline, what size needle are u using?