1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Giraffe

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Tangerine, Mar 20, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

I just got this awesome giraffe skull from a friend of mine. It's now the pride of my collection! Does anyone know how much these are worth? I don't ever intend on selling it but he gave me a hell of a deal. Are they fairly common? I wish I had the details of it. I have no idea if it was a zoo animal or wild but it's a beauty for sure.

2. FowlWeather

FowlWeather New Member

I don't have the answer to any of your questions but that is a "very" cool skull :D

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Look on eBay and look at past sales. I think you will find several there. Atlantic coral enterprises sells them as well I believe.

4. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Congrats on the skull, bet that's a big sucker

Is that Worldwildlifeproducts on eBay? I think they were selling complete giraffes in the $300's-$400s a while back

5. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Congrats on the skull!! Must be a very nice addition to your collection! Well done...

6. AH7

AH7 New Member

I have one almost the same that I think is about a $400 skull. There is a fantastic male with a mandible listed in the "For Sale" section right now (as part of that large private collection) that they are asking $750 I think? Frankly I've seen amazing giraffe skulls selling for over $1000, and I'd say some of them are worth it. A big bruiser is a thing of beauty!

(BTW - that's a classic African boiling job! Check out that grease in the dense areas. I'll bet you anything that there are some chalky or flaky areas. Hard to clean out that boiled in grease without further damaging the bone. I've never succeeded myself. Any suggestions? Definitely slap some paraloid on the skull after you get the grease out.)

7. There is a cow giraffe on there too for $350.
    There is a ton of babboons, wildcats, mongooses and tons of othere african animals. There was even a lion, lioness, and hyena but those sold already.
    They are selling warthogs without the tusks for $20 each. There is a ton of other stuff on there for cheap.
    Tempting but I just don't have the money for that kind of stuff right now.
    You would think if you were hunting in Africa you could at least supervise the boiling to cause minimal damage?
    What will happen if you start degreasing these skulls normally? Will they flake apart?

8. I'm actually set to own one of those baboons, and that lot of bears. Excited! Wish I had stayed awake long enough for him to have posted the lions and hyena though. I would've jumped on them in a heartbeat.

However, I'm really scared to degrease this giraffe. The bones on the topside of the nose (where those holes are) are very fragile from that boil job. I think I may just leave it as-is.

9. AH7

AH7 New Member

I'd probably leave it as is. Actually I might paraloid it as it is. Sucks to "lock in" that grease, but I'd be worried about the flaking - and paraloid can be reversed in acetone if you want to try to degrease later.