1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

gel coat?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by TimsTax, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TimsTax

TimsTax New Member

I have made my first mold of a fish. I used a 22 inch quilback carp sucker I shot last year bowfishing to "test the waters" with. I used the 50/50 Bondo and resin method and then layered it with fiberglass. I touched up the few air pockets and imperfections with apoxie sculpt. Now I need to find gel coat. Where can I get gel coat and pva? If I use mothers carnuba wax on the mold do I still need to spray a layer or 2 of pva on the mold?

2. I think I used to get it from WASCO, McKenzie now. I'm not sure if any of the others carry it or not. I can't answer your question about the carnuba wax, but I can tell you a good mold release is a must. My first Bondo mold was a very nice mold. That was until I didn't use enough release, it soaked into the Bondo, and I ended up with what I can only assume was a nice cast stuck inside my nice mold.

3. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Google it. Seriously. There are a ton of companies out there that sell gel coat in all kinds of colors. Find a company you feel comfortable with and order it in. I highly reccommend a respirator when working with gel coats, you'll know why once you've opened the can!

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You don't have to use gel coat. I use thinned bondo instead and have been happy with the results. Smooth on and Innovative polymers also carry some urethane casting resins that work as well. PVA does a very good job used in conjunction with the wax, but again isn't 100% necessary. A couple coats and buffs of your carnuba wax will do the trick.

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

PVA.....

PVA is not necessary at all. Just use car wax.

Although I have used gel coat in the past, I prefer IE 3030 or Fast Cast on fish molds.

I have numerous prickly pear cactus molds made out of bondo and all I use on them for mold release is car wax and I pour bondo for the cast. Bondo on bondo with car wax as a mold release.

On rock molds made out of Latex 74 all I use is car wax for a mold release. Pour thin layer of bondo for my first pour and then pour two-part foam.

And with silicone molds (GI 1100) no mold release is necessary.

:)

Kerby...

6. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Those last two guys know what they are talking about also, pay heed.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Fiberglast. google it.

I would seal the mold with several light coats of diluted shellac. over a couple day period. then wax it with Johnson's Paste was. Yellow can at walmart of home depot. Wax, allow to dry then buff, repaet a couple times the final buffing should show a good shine looking at the mold. Johnson's is pure carnuba.

No PVA required!

8. Bryan@localline2.com

[email protected] New Member

I like pva so you don't have problems with the wax wanting to bead up your resin.