1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

unwanted minerals in water?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by tuckertan, Mar 21, 2013.

1. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

i've been tanning for a couple of years now, and as you all know i bark tan my hides. since i moved to my new place and setup another tannery i've noticed a difference in the quality of my leather. i've been thinking about getting the water tested to find out exactly what minerals are in the water. does anyone happen to know much about mineral content in water and how it affects tanning? i know that a soft water is desired.. but are there things in particular that can affect tanning agents?

thanks

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Calcium, magnesium, iron. Get a softener or use citric acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelating_agent

3. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

i'm currently using safety acid.. how would the use of citric acid solve the presence of minerals in the water? is it really either getting a softener or switching to citric acid?

i've thought about getting a water softener. i'll look into it.

4. cyclone

Didn't read the link info, eh....
    Didn't tell you to switch acids, use it in conjunction with what you are using now.

5. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

i ready it right after i posted.

thanks

6. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Another alternative would be to add a Chelating Agent to your process Water - before you add the chemicals. This problem is typical if you are vegetable tanning. The problem however is finding an up to date source for the Chelating Agent. I used to carry it - but my source is out of business now. Here is my former instruction sheet for it.

"Instructions for using RITTELS Chelating Agent (CA-604)"

A Chelating agent is intended to remove minerals from highly mineralized water. Many local water supplies contain water and other hard minerals. These minerals tend to interact and discolor furs and leathers during the tanning process. A typical problem happens when vegetable tanning – instead of the vegetable extract producing a rich brown color – it is gray or has dark gray areas. RITTELS Chelating agent prevents such graying and interaction.

Usage – Before adding the other ingredients to your water for the tannage – first add .3 Ozs. (by weight) of RITTELS Chelating agent CA-604 per each 1 Gallon of water used – if a scale is unavailable, .3 Ozs. is also equal to 2 full teaspoons. Next you can add your tanning agent and any other additives. Process your skins as usual.

7. cyclone

Bruce,

Citric acid is a chelation reagent. It is so good, in fact, that some softening systems are designed for citric acid.

[quote author=Wikipedia]
    Cleaning and chelating agent

Citric acid is an excellent chelating agent, binding metals. It is used to remove limescale from boilers and evaporators.[6] It can be used to soften water, which makes it useful in soaps and laundry detergents. By chelating the metals in hard water, it lets these cleaners produce foam and work better without need for water softening. Citric acid is the active ingredient in some bathroom and kitchen cleaning solutions. A solution with a 6% concentration of citric acid will remove hard water stains from glass without scrubbing. In industry, it is used to dissolve rust from steel. Citric acid can be used in shampoo to wash out wax and coloring from the hair.

Illustrative of its chelating abilities, citric acid was the first successful eluant used for total ion-exchange separation of the lanthanides, during the Manhattan Project in the 1940s. In the 1950s, it was replaced by the far more efficient EDTA. It can be used to slow setting of Portland cement. It can delay setting time substantially.
    [/quote]

8. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Interesting Post - Cyclone!