1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning a dried beaver

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wildcat2, Mar 21, 2013.

1. wildcat2

wildcat2 New Member

i am a trapper/hunter and not a taxidermist. But i have been having some decent luck tanning a few hides using the mackenzie products and method. I did a bobcat hide and a beaver hide. i fleshed both after skinning with a fleshing knife as i would for preparing a hide for the fur market. I also thinned by hand with a sharp knife around the head (eyes lips ear ect) then i salted, pickled and tanned per the instructions. (i did use vandykes super solvent on the beaver also) now i want to tan a beaver hide which i already have air dried for the fur market.
    my questions are:
    1 can i just re hydrate, degrease and then go to the pickle?
    2 do i have to salt it after re hydrating before i either degrease or pickle?
    3 when is the right time to degrease a coon, beaver, bear before after ot during the pickle?

alot of questions i know but rather learn from here than lose a hide.

also this beaver hide will be put on a hoop for a wall hanging so it need not be soft.

2. wildcat2

wildcat2 New Member

guess i will just toss in the pickle and see what happens.

3. Justice31

Justice31 New Member

Hopefully your gathering all the info on how to tan this thing before you start. Dry tanning may prove very difficult , good luck!

4. wildcat2

wildcat2 New Member

trying to gather what i can....... :-\

just not having much luck. i relaxed it and degreased and put it in the pickle. it is starting to plump up and looks just like the last one i did that i started from a raw hide.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Just like any other dried hided air or salted. It must me hydrated back, place in pickle for 3 days, shave, degrease,back in pickle for another day, drain, neutralize and then the tanning process begins.
    I do not degrease pior to my pickle.

6. wildcat2

wildcat2 New Member

sweet thanks for the info. guess i got lucky and went the right route. this is a very small young beaver (thin skin). i will degrease again after i flesh again and before going back into the pickle. when i first hydrated it, it got loose like any other hide but it was "slick". thats why i decide to put it in the degreaser. is this "slickness" what you are talking about that needs to be "cut", Hudson?

7. wildcat2

wildcat2 New Member

thanks for the help guys!!!!!