1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning a badger, Need advice

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by balsamln, Mar 21, 2013.

1. balsamln

balsamln New Member

WI
    Hello all. I'm very new to the taxidermy business and have been reading many threads about tanning. The more I read the more confused I get. It seems everyone uses a different technique for the many different tanning solutions....and none are the exact match to what I have. Also, according to a past post you can't trust the directions written on the container it was shipped in.

The hide has been fleshed and dried without using salt (trapper dried it). My plan is to put it in a pickle with safetee acid, salt mixture and when it loosens up split the ears and lips. Once that is all done I will put it in the pickle for another day or so and then start shaving it down.

After shaving put back in pickle...then the tanning....Using Curatan, do I neutralize before or after I tan? How long do I tan? The directions on the jug don't even mention neutralizing the hide.

Thanks for any suggestions. Corey

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Corey lets see if I can assist you here. If a person has any questions about a product they should call the manufacturer on it to make sure of your directions. This is how I do it. also I never place a dried hide in any pickle solution, it may or not hydrate back the proper way.
    So I hydrate the hide first in water with some type of relaxing agent.
    Then rinse well and placed in a pickle for three days.
    Drain,shave,degrease if needed, then back to the pickle for another day.
    drain,neutralize and either use a soak tan or a rub on at this time.

3. badgers are very greasey , you flesh as best as possible salt it and then pickle , the type of pickle and tan is a personal choice . Ive been useing McKinizie tan for years and have no problems , The safty acid is simple to use just dont panic . thats most of the problem with new folks . just read the lable and do what is listed . I mix 60 gal at a time but in your case you can use a 5 gal bucket and a sink, use the bucket to measure then measure your salt , it is helpfull to get a salt hidromiter and keep your slinity at 60 % then add the acid slowly , untill you get to 1.5 on your ph paper , dont freek out if your first try isnt perfect , keep a record of each thing you put in and repeat as needed . if your ph gets dark green above 1.5 add some acid not much just a little at a time you will bring it into correct ph in seconds , hope that helped . spelling is not my gig mark c

4. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

I can recall trying to tan a badger w/out shaving and well it doesn't work out too well.. you end up with a very stiff skin.. like hair on leather for sure.. you have to wonder how WELL they can TAN if they're not shaven.. why I bought a dakota pro.

5. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

MSBraintan, he said he was going to shave?

What is Curatan? Can you post the instructions?

What Frank said sounded good, except, if the product you are refering to is a submercible tan, you have to establish weather it is a mineral or synthetic tan, before you can establish a neutralisation point.

6. dozier

dozier New Member

Rehydrate in salt water . Badgers are greasy . Make sure you add degreaser to your pickle . Shave and degrease again . You can neutralize and degrease at the same time . Then tan .