1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dirt base with real grass?

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by mtbehm, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

I have been searching through the forums and have not quite found what I am looking for. I am doing a base for a lifesize bobcat and I have dried out grass/ with roots that I would like to use. I have seen dirt bases using spray foam and the elmers glue but was wondering how to add the grass in? Should I just try to cut slots in the plastic covering that goes over the foam and put the roots in the wet foam and let it dry? Thats the best idea I can think of but this is my first mount/first base so I figured Id ask you experts. Thanks alot, Matt

2. Sikk

Sikk Member

well I have done it, but its labor intensive. I pour a colored base of foam. select my grass Bunch with roots and insert a wire thru the root crown into the stem and insert them into the foam. I actually do this for all my vegetation, corn stalks, beans sorghum, etc, push the wire up into the stem as far as you can, it adds support, sometimes I drill a hole thru the root to get it started. after the plants are arranged, i paint the foam with white glue straight out of the bottle. spread the glue thick around the roots. sift your sterilized dirt mix on heavily and let dry for a coupe days. brush off the loose dirt or blow off with a.hair dryer. this should give you a dry looking dirt base. paul

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

In my opinion, using real grass is never a good idea. Natural grasses age quickly as they attract dust. That dust also attracts dust mites that are not friends to your habitat OR to your mount. Good artificial grass is sometimes hard to come by, but in the long run, it's more stable and will last longer than your mount will. Michael's sells some nice bunch grass that I cut apart and "plant" individually. You can always find quality choics online.

4. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

well i gave it a shot this morning. just got done putting the foam on so we will see what it turns out like when its all done. Thanks for the help

5. Sikk

Sikk Member

I forgot to mention, I spray( almost saturate) the grass withy Krlon matte or satin finish. I spray it heavily several times to build up a nice finish. I have a personal mount that is 7 years old, the grass is still ok. I do blow the mount off( dust) periodically. bit that being said, I do agree with George- if you can find a good artificial representation- they are better in the long run-although much more costly. paul

6. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

Yeah I had read to spray it with krylon so I did that. The artifical grass being costly is the reason I wanted real grass as I am a broke college kid. Thanks for the replies and help, Matt

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

PLEASE! THat "poor" carp wears thin. ALL OF US ARE POOR. Where do you get the Krylon? Last time I bought a can it was almost $9. You could buy enough artificial grass for that much.

8. mtbehm

mtbehm New Member

got mine for 2.67 for a can which beats the $10 dollar for a clump of grass especially when im doing an 18x36 area, id be looking at close to $100 for artifical grass.