1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ear hair slippage after tan

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by hidenorhair, Mar 22, 2013.

1. hidenorhair

hidenorhair Member

New to trying a tannery and after tanning I had a white paste like residue in the ear once I got them back from the tannery. I was thick and matted in the hair. Also the hair seemed to be very loose or prone to slip somewhat. Any thoughts out there. The hides where alum tanned. Thanks.

2. hidenorhair

hidenorhair Member

rather no name. thanks.

3. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

My thought is find another tannery.

4. mount-n-it

mount-n-it New Member

Find another tannery for sure. Sounds like the sort of thing that happens with pickled capes.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

wow may not be the tannery at all. I tan my own hides and the ears that have that is generally a wax build up from the deer itself. If I was you I would rather call the tannery and ask them for their opinion on what it is or the cause of it. They would know better than any of us making accusations about any tannery that is being used.

6. If you go to mckenzie's website under the how to section, there's a little write up on tanning, explanning what can/could go wrong if not done properly. It saids what your are describing.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. hidenorhair

hidenorhair Member

problem solved. Thanks for all the replies.

8. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

Ahhhh, so what was the problem?