1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing needles

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by uncleted, Mar 22, 2013.

1. uncleted

uncleted New Member

Ive been using my girlfriends little sewing needles trying to repair holes in coon and otter hides before I salt dry and its killing my hand. What needles do I need to order for repair and final closing on lifesize? No deer capes. When is the best time in the tanning process to repair holes? Cant do a job with the wrong tools. Thanks.

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Look in the supplier catalogues and order the three sided leather needles.
    I would suggest repairs made after shaving and tanning.

3. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I allways repair after neutralising the hide and be for putting on the tanning oil. If you do it be for the oil it will not be slippery. I like the 3 sided needles in the "S" shape because I can get a grip on them. I have big hands and arthritis in them and it helps a lot.
    Keep them sharp with a small sharping stone for fish hooks.

4. gasman1

gasman1 The Big One Almost Got Away

N.C
    I like the s needles you can get them in small and large, I sew up holes just before mounting.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Repairing holes is the last thing I do before putting hide paste on the form.

6. Nice avavtar! ""Blue angels", I've always enjoyed them more than the "Thunderbirds".............John

7. uncleted

uncleted New Member

Ok, got the needles on order along with some super solv degreasser from knoblocks. Wanna degrease good before tanning step. I have coons, skunk, and otter hides. I split tails of coarse and fleshed real good. Even used a butter knife to push HARD down the open tails. The grease just SQUEEZED out! Did it till it was dry. Thats gonna suck sewing up that long otter tail. Good needles should help. Go to the QUAD CITY airshow every year(Davenport,Ia.) Love all military aircraft. Saw a Check L-39 go down last year,killing piolt...sad... Also have a personal pic of BA F-4 on fire with no gear on runway just before he ejected in the 70s at Cedar Rapids,IA. ooops!

8. Sorry to hijack your post. I've been to Quad Cities Airshow with MO CAF few years ago. I don't think I'd like to witness a crash. I saw the L39 on TV :'(

9. Glovers needles are the main needles I use. But for small holes and "shaving" holes I use the smallest needle I can find which I usually get at the dollar store. The smaller the needle the smaller the hole it makes which make for a smaller seam to hide.