1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning a duck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Ed Rollins, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Ed Rollins

Ed Rollins New Member

Texas
    I have been reading and learning alot from you guys over the last year..Keep in mind that I have not done my first duck yet , but Im getting ready to..My dumb question of the week is : After I skin out the duck , is it okay to re-freeze the hide and come back to it a week later or so, or do I have to finish it once I start? Will it damage the hide if I re-freeze it.I have not read that question anywhere.

2. Yep, you will be fine doing that. I usually skin a couple one night, freeze them & flesh them later. I'll refreeze again after that until I am ready to mount the bird. I am as slow as anybody you have ever seen & I'd have to quit if I had to do them all start to finish.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You can thaw and refreeze multiple times. Be sure to seal the specimen well when re-freezing it. I've had several projects that have been thawed and re-frozen many times before completion.

4. Ed Rollins

Ed Rollins New Member

Texas
    Thanks for the reply..I did not read that anywhere on here..so I figured I would ask..Im retired, but still to many irons in the fire..Was not sure if it would damage the hide.. Im slow too..the older I get..the worse it gets..lol

5. Ed Rollins

Ed Rollins New Member

Texas
    Well Fella's

Im getting all my ducks in a row and getting ready to do my first mount..it will be a green wing teal, so if any of ya have any tips or suggestions ..feel free to reply.

6. If you're using a wire wheel, be careful, teal can tear easily and use a pic of a live bird as reference. Good luck and post a pic when you're done.

7. Ed Rollins

Ed Rollins New Member

Texas
    Thanks BHarris...I will that in mind.

I guess most people think Im looking for
    " trade secrets " ..lol...Im not..Im not opening a Taxidermy shop..all my birds will be done for pleasure and just for myself.

8. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

Purchase at least one DVD to learn from. Also learn to use the Search feature of this site. There is little chance you can be successful by asking each step along the way. There is a wealth of info on this site, but IMHO you need at least to invest a couple of minutes to learn how to find each and every answer to each and every step on your own if you are unwilling to invest in proper, inexpensive DVD instruction. Tony Finazzo and Stephan Savides are great choices for DVD instruction - and they do give out "trade secrets" and SHOW how to do.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,332875.msg2265369.html#msg2265369

9. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

For example ...

Attached Files:

10. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

X2 on that. Take your time on the wheel. Wrap the skin over your finger and "touch" it to the wheel gently. The wire wheel starts taking off the fat before the actual skin even touches the wheel. And please, keep the carcass and freeze it. Look at where the wing and leg bones attach on the carcass. Duplicate this on the manikin, carving out cavities for the bones on the manikin. You place these in the right position and guaranteed, the skin and feathers will lay down nicely on the Teal.

11. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Haha... It's funny, I just did exactly what you are asking about today. :D I just skinned my first duck and re-froze the skin after hand-fleshing it. I guess that I should have read this thread before doing that, but apperantly I did exactly what everyone had said :eek:. I took the body and neck (still attached) and removed the head from the skin for painting. It's a mallard color variation that was pen-raised so it's feathers arent perfect but it's a decent first bird. Good luck with the teal, I've heard they are much thiner skinned than most ducks. ;D

12. Ed Rollins

Ed Rollins New Member

Texas
    Now thats the response I was looking for ..thanks for the comments.If you look ,you can see that I have been on this site for a while - I have been reading and reading and watching video's and you tube....maybe to much ..LOLL

I also have searched different topics and questions on here - I had just not seen or heard my question.

I guess I should have busted some Mallards and Cans or some Pintails - but the ducks did not hit the slew this last season like the normally do - we had a bit of a dry sepll with water in texas - so what I have to work with is - Teal & Woodies & Gadwalls..I guees if I guess if I learn on something like a Teal - if I can get it half right and get the mount half decent - the big birds should just fall into place after that,

I have seen it all on video's ..One guy use cotton on the leg area - one guy uses twine..one guy uses ( of all things) papertowels...so one starts to question what is really the right way..LOL

I consider all the "real" experts to be on this site - so thats why Im here - again thats to all the respones.

Ed

13. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

When I refreeze ducks I normally put them in zip lock baggy and cover them in water then freeze them like a big duckcube. Thaw over night and away you go. The first duck I mounted was a woodie. I had so many holes to sew and thought it would never go back together. Here is a little tip, lay the duck in the sink and float it in water. If you have it cut up pretty good the water will help show you how to sew it back together. Sounds strange but it works.