1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

just purchased a new dakota V

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tommy70, Mar 23, 2013.

1. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Does anyone know if it comes fully assembled and was this a good purchase ? I have a sheet of stainless steel 5' by 6' i was planning on using to make a table top with either a wood frame or welded tube frame from steel i have round garage..any idea's. thanks.. im pumped

2. jorgy

jorgy Member

some assembly required. I used an old countertop on a frame

3. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

thanks Bull, any issue's with dakota since u have had machine..and the counter top table is a cool idea also. how long does the blade stay sharp till needs a touchup ?

4. jorgy

jorgy Member

I dont care for the way the shavings fall through the belt area and they do get into the pulleys and shut you down until you dig them out. I have an older model that I am getting ready to sell. I just set up the Pro and really like it.

Overall it is okay if you dont do a ton of shaving. I am not an expert on the blade. I touch mine up before I start a cape and usually once while Im working on it. It takes me about 45 minutes to shave a cape down, which is pretty slow.

5. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

thanks again bull for the bit of info..I will have to try it out and see exactly whats what...alot better that doing it by hand like i have been..although ive done well in the past by hand..it takes way to long ..this will speed things up . thanks again. if anything it gives me a pattern to make a better one ;D

6. It's a great little machine but like bull said junk sometimes gets hung up on the pulley and even the belt. I had 1 for 2 years before I upgraded to the Dakota pro and to tell you the truth I wish I had kept the v. For smaller jobs. Have fun with it be prepared to cut holes, and take your time on it and you will be done before you know it. I was in the same boat you were doing it all by hand and I finally said screw this I'm getting a machine. Best investment I have ever made. Good luck...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. I am a pert timer & have done about 140 whitetails with it. It does all I need it to do. I do my own tanning so have to shave all skins--about 30 min per & very little final thinning to do by hand on the face. Junk does get into the lower pulley but I have found that a 2' long hardwood slat 1/2 x 1/4" & tapered will get most chunks out in a few seconds.

8. 24/7

24/7 New Member

I got a pro last year and love it but I never use mine without my fleshing gloves.I cut one of my fingers really bad rite after I got it . The gloves have saved my hands several times since. Don't get careless!

9. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

You should be very happy with the machine. It will take you a little bit of time setting your blade guards to find the sweet spot on the blade and set them to what is comfortable for you (top, center, or bottom) If your like me you will end up fine tuning the blade before, during and after each cape. You can also hit it with some WD40 after each use. If at anytime you decide to up-grade I would still hang on to this. It is a great fleasher for doing work around the eyes, lips and nose. As mentioned above skin will get hung up on the belt and between the guard and blade ( no biggie ) quick fix, I use a thin aluminium ruler about 2'' long to push the skin out when it gets jammed up. If you've been doing it by hand before your gonna wish you got this tool a long time ago.
    I personally like to sit down not stand when on the machine it's more comfortable on my back and feet and you should get yourself some Kevlar gloves. Congrats and enjoy.

10. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Hey Tommy did it come with a blade? i'm thinking of buying one also.

Justin with the Pro stuff doesnt fall into the pulley like it does with the V? You think the almost 700 more for it is worth it? When you say wish your kept the V to get into the smaller areas, the blade size is bigger on the pro?

11. X2

Your gonna cut holes lots of them on the first ohhhhh 10 r 20 before you get the hang of it. And your gonna get into it, and it hurts like HELL. :eek: When you do you will wish it had just cut you instead of shaving away a piece of meat. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

12. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

thanks alot on the responses and tips back guy's..much appreciated and helpful..i am impatiently waiting for it to get here lol..dont they work on weekends ? grrr. I wrote to ship speedy if available under notes..maybe cut cost of shipping hopefully it dont cost more than ups lol ugh..thanks again

13. @nick, on the pro model the belt is in it's own housing the pro is a lot more money but it's a totaly different machine blade is bigger and you can udjust your guards with litterly 1 finger. The V is easier to work with on small game squirrels, mink, etc.. don't get me wrong you can set your guards so you can do them small qritters on the pro. But V is just the right size IMO. And yes fleshing gloves are a must even on the smaller machine. I can't tell you how many times I cut my hands, and fingers. I'm going to be honest they are dangerous but with proper self tranning and confendence it's the best invesment you will ever make.

14. @tommy, this is my set up if it helps you figure something out for yourself. The table is 36 1/4 wide and 34" deep. Stands 35" high at the top of the plywood. However i stand 5'6 so its perfect for me. The height of your table will be up to you just make sure you stand str8 or your back will kill.

Attached Files:

15. Tom,

Now you are cooking with peanut oil! lol You will certainly enjoy not doing it by hand.

Bruce

16. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    The pro is great for small things. Puts the v too shame imo. Ive owned both and love the pro, get youre self an s n s blade too, best blade on the market.

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

17. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Thanks Justin C. Do the new machines come with blades? What is better soft or hard?

18. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

;) thats what im hoping bud..got those 3 capes tanning so far ..will leave set till i get unit setup and running. also purchased 2 Qts stoprot..which i have never used yet. Cant wait for turkey season ;)

19. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

justinC..thats sure a nice setup you have going..you should add a hole below so scraps fall through into a small container or something. thanks for sharing