1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Cast Turkey Head?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Hill Country Taxidermy, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Got a few turkey shoulder mounts to do and was considering using the prepainted cast heads just to save time....I usually use freeze dried ones, but time is a factor in this case. Which ones do you all think are the best that are "ready to go?"

2. Nobody uses them?

3. full fan

full fan New Member

think you answered your own question, if no one replayed that should tell you there isn't any good one out there.

4. Anthony Eddy's are probably the best.. Some of Buckeye's (sold by McKenzie) I like , some have too wide a strip in back and feathers don't meet the head. I use Eddy's for my stuffer decoys, they can handle getting banged around in the back of the truck or while running after gobblers in the field.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I tried 3 different cast heads and hated them. Then I got an Anthony Eddy head and it was very realistic. I added the real feathers and cut up an acid brush bristles and glued them where the hairs go and it looked convincing. It cost me a lot of money to find out which I liked the best. One thing's for sure, there ain't nothing like a freeze dried head. The only draw back on a freeze dry is the time factor. Money wise it's about the same.

6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Not sure how a prepainted real head would save any less time than an artificial one ? What are your customers thinkng they are getting ? I myself would be royally pissed if I came to pick up a turkey with an artifical head on it if that had not been agreed upon....just a thought.

7. Funny you mention this...I had a customer (Money Bags) drop off two turkeys a few years back. One was a tail fan and beard mount and the other was a full strut...when he come to pick up the mounts he questioned the head on his bird, it was the real head freeze dried and painted. Bottom line is, this guy said for whatever reason he didnt think freeze dried heads looks real and he thinks the artificial ones are more realistic...I LOL'ed on that comment..He mentioned he and his wife killed a few birds out of state that spring and had dropped those birds off to a taxidermist near where they hunted and he requested artificial heads be used instead of the real one. Oh well it's his money and he has alot of it....

8. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

would these work for you?

Attached Files:

9. Tony you are a thread killer aren't you! LOL They look very nice.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You order a prepainted artificial head. It arrives in 2 to 5 days. You send in a head to be freeze dried. It takes a couple of days to get there. Then up to 3 months before it's ready to send back to you. 3 to 5 days to get back. Thats 2 to 5 days vs 3 months. That's the time savings. If I were doing turkeys for people, I would always discuss the head options with them.

11. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

There is a reason only two suppliers carry my castTurkey heads. We sell a lot unpainted The painted ones take too long to paint for $20.00 I'm the only one here that can do it and I don't have much extra time. Sorry to here all the experts here think cast heads suck, but happy in a way. I'd like to teach you all how to paint your own. So, I don't have to.
    If you experts ever figure a way to keep overspray off of the hairs and feathers on a real head would you post it here. Because, in my opinion it looks like crap and............................. don't forget the bugs.